Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Ben Blackmore

Default Rose Bush Problem

I'm having a problem with a rose bush I brought back in February. We got 2
from B&Q, potted them in a bigger pot, and kept them inside until the frosts
were over, then in March we moved them out to the front garden, where we
took them out the pots, and planted them. One has grown pretty big now, and
has 4 big roses on it. The other has a few small new shoots but isn't much
bigger than when we planted it. And yet they are less than 3ft from each
other, so the soil shouldn't be that different, they both get the same
amount of water and sun light, and we feed them once a week.
What could be wrong with it? Is there anyway I can improve its growth? I'm
not sure what type it is, I will try and find the old container at home
later, if it hasn't been thrown out.

Ben

Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Rod

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 11:08:39 +0100, "Ben Blackmore"
wrote:

I'm having a problem with a rose bush I brought back in February. We got 2
from B&Q, potted them in a bigger pot, and kept them inside until the frosts
were over, then in March we moved them out to the front garden, where we
took them out the pots, and planted them. One has grown pretty big now, and
has 4 big roses on it. The other has a few small new shoots but isn't much
bigger than when we planted it. And yet they are less than 3ft from each
other, so the soil shouldn't be that different, they both get the same
amount of water and sun light, and we feed them once a week.
What could be wrong with it? Is there anyway I can improve its growth? I'm
not sure what type it is, I will try and find the old container at home
later, if it hasn't been thrown out.

Bare rooted prepacks by any chance? If so, some plants will be in
worse condition than others (none will be in good condition) There
isn't anything you can do to improve the poor one, if it's still alive
now it will improve slowly, might take a couple of seasons to catch
up. ATM it will have a very poor root system and that is the only
route through which it can get nutrients, there's a limit to how much
those poor roots can transport. Any attempt at force feeding will most
likely result in further root death so just leave it alone for the
time being.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Ben Blackmore

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't say the roots were bare, it came in a fairly large red plant pot,
so there was soil in with the roots, we then moved it into another larger
pot until we were ready to plant it.
Ben

Lime tree or bush possible problem John Vanini United Kingdom 6 12-08-2007 12:04 PM
Kangaroo Paw: Bush Gem problem Cynthia Australia 2 13-12-2006 09:47 PM
New Rose Bush Problem(s) Jim Lindholm Roses 5 07-05-2004 04:03 AM
holly bush problem tommy Gardening 2 10-04-2004 10:32 PM
Rose bush shape info for a very novice gardener (was How did everybody get started with thei Mike Roses 0 18-04-2003 04:56 AM