Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Cire

Default How does one root yucca offshoots?

Very reluctantly I had to cut down a magnificent, 5ft Yucca Gloriosa last
September because it eas just in the wrong place.

It soon put up eight nice young plants which I removed and put into
suitable compost. I realised that it was not the best time of the year to do
such a thing but I didn't want to leave them until the spring, when they
would have grown too large. (They grow at an incredible rate.) None of them
had any roots when I removed them so I tried to take as much of the parent
plant's main stem as possible. They were over-wintered in the greenhouse.

With the exception of one, they are all looking very healthy but there is
still no sign of rooting on any of them. How they have managed to keep alive
for so long, I don't understand.

Anyway, what I now need helpful advice about, is how to correctly deal with
a further batch of babies from the same old rootstock. I now have another
five beautiful young plantlets, each about 8ins tall.

Can anyone please help me to get these rooted properly.

Eric

Please remove the UNSPAM when replying

Old 10-07-2004, 06:09 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Cire" wrote in message
[...]

I rooted a Yucca offshoot by just taking the offshoot itself - no part of
the main stem - and putting it into potting compost.

It seemed to root O.K. and is now outside and about 4' tall with numerous
offshoots itself.

A while since I did it, but ISTR it just settled in and got on with it.

HTH
Dave R

Old 13-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Cire

David

Thanks for your reply. I will give it another go but, of course, this is
what I did before, without sucess!

Perhaps it was the time of year that was wrong.

Thanks again.

Eric