Old 10-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Alan Holmes

Default Blackfly?

Earlier in the year I planted some broad beans, have never planted
them before, and as they were a bit of a disappointment I'll
probably never plant them again.

Had heard about problems with blackfly but the broad beans
seemed to develop without any problems, but at the last minute
blackfly did appear, I sprayed the beans with soapy water and
that seemed to solve the problem, the beans have now been
taken up as the crop was picked, but:-

I've been away for about 18 days and on my return the runner beans
and some other things were being attacked including the camellias,
SWMBO has suggested that it is a common problem this year.

I'm very concerned about the runner beans, I was going to spray them
with a soapy mixture, but is there any other solution?

Alan

Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM
Robert

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk

The only way to do it before they get infested is to go around and rub them
out as they appear. They seem to die out then or the birds get them but they
don't take over. If they are covered I think your soapy water spray is the
best option, although I would have a good go at crushing a few between the
fingers.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Just Molly

"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

I do this on my nasturtiums. I put on a rubber glub, and run my fingers
alon any stems etc infested, then turn the leaves over so the birds can see
them. Almost as soon as I go indoors there are hungry blue tits and finches
eating mashed blackfly.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Klara

In message , Just Molly
writes
I do this on my nasturtiums. I put on a rubber glub, and run my
fingers alon any stems etc infested, then turn the leaves over so the
birds can see them. Almost as soon as I go indoors there are hungry
blue tits and finches eating mashed blackfly.

We have lots of blue tits and finches (I suppose because we're summer
feeding now), and more blackfly than ever this year, but I have never
once seen any kind of bird feasting on the blackfly ((
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Mark

Out of interest, what washing up liquid/ water ratio do peopel use for the
spray?

Cheers, Mark

Old 29-07-2004, 10:30 AM
MELVIN ALLEN

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I'm very concerned about the runner beans, I was going to spray them
with a soapy mixture, but is there any other solution?

Hi, you could try sprinkling raw garlic around the base of the plant - this
has been advised to me before - I'd like to know if it's of any use.

Or you could try growing garlic nearby - again, anyone any other info on
this?

Thanks,

Mel.

Blackfly Ron United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
Blackfly Ron United Kingdom 1 23-06-2003 09:56 PM
Rhubarb and blackfly. Ron United Kingdom 5 19-06-2003 07:56 AM
Greenfly, Blackfly Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:56 AM
Blackfly/greenfly cure geoff United Kingdom 0 12-04-2003 01:56 PM