Old 18-07-2007, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lathyrus matucana

I don't remember who recommended this (Charlie?) but I'm greatly in their
debt. It's absolutely gorgeous. The stems are very short, so I put them
into tiny vases right up to their necks but the scent is the best I've ever
encountered and I really love the colour.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-07-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I don't remember who recommended this (Charlie?) but I'm greatly in their
debt. It's absolutely gorgeous. The stems are very short, so I put them
into tiny vases right up to their necks but the scent is the best I've ever
encountered and I really love the colour.

I have grown them for years Sacha, they are the original sweet peas In
believe. The best for scent!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-07-2007, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet Tweedy writes
In article , Sacha
writes
I don't remember who recommended this (Charlie?) but I'm greatly in their
debt. It's absolutely gorgeous. The stems are very short, so I put them
into tiny vases right up to their necks but the scent is the best I've ever
encountered and I really love the colour.

Tony, probably. He recommended them to me

I have grown them for years Sacha, they are the original sweet peas In
believe. The best for scent!

Don't know whether 'the original', but they are a very early variety
(despite the species-sounding name they are a variety not a separate
species)
--
Kay
Old 19-07-2007, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

The legend that they came into the country with the Romans is a charming one
but several sources query it. I don't really care. I'm saving seed at the
end of the flowering season for ourselves and for Cormaic. He and Mrs Taz
saw it here a while ago and he used to have it but lost it, so I've promised
to try to keep them some seed. It will certainly be interesting to see if
they come 'true'.

Its really easy to get seed Sacha and if you grow others can you be sure
that it will come true?
Old 19-07-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/7/07 12:54, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

The legend that they came into the country with the Romans is a charming one
but several sources query it. I don't really care. I'm saving seed at the
end of the flowering season for ourselves and for Cormaic. He and Mrs Taz
saw it here a while ago and he used to have it but lost it, so I've promised
to try to keep them some seed. It will certainly be interesting to see if
they come 'true'.

Its really easy to get seed Sacha and if you grow others can you be sure
that it will come true?

No but I'd like to try it. ;-) Cormaic seems to have kept seeds of his in
the past so I'll check with him.

Old 19-07-2007, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

Its really easy to get seed Sacha and if you grow others can you be sure
that it will come true?

No but I'd like to try it. ;-) Cormaic seems to have kept seeds of his in
the past so I'll check with him.

Didn't he say it was the only one he grew? All I was worrying about was
that you might be growing several so cross pollination would be likely.
Old 19-07-2007, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/7/07 16:55, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Its really easy to get seed Sacha and if you grow others can you be sure
that it will come true?

No but I'd like to try it. ;-) Cormaic seems to have kept seeds of his in
the past so I'll check with him.

Didn't he say it was the only one he grew? All I was worrying about was
that you might be growing several so cross pollination would be likely.

Got you. No, we're growing one other this year as far as the garden is
concerned. All those for sale went out long before the flowering stage. I
think the L. matucana can be kept pretty isolated from that one other.