Old 15-07-2004, 01:13 PM
hillier

Default blackfly

My runner and french beans are infested with blackfly. Soapy water and
derris liquid have not had a lot of success and although there are lots of
ladybirds this year, they can't cope either. Do I leave them alone, pull all
the plants up or can anyone sugest a different treatment, please.

Old 15-07-2004, 01:42 PM
sarah

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article , "hillier"

writes:
| My runner and french beans are infested with blackfly. Soapy water and
| derris liquid have not had a lot of success and although there are lots
| of ladybirds this year, they can't cope either. Do I leave them alone,
| pull all the plants up or can anyone sugest a different treatment,
| please.

I use Savona (horticultural soft soap), and it works. But you
have to soak the blackfly, so spraying by hand, close up and
under all leaves is essential. If you do that, and it failed,
try again, but perhaps with a slightly stronger solution. Also,
it works better if it is followed by some warm, dry weather, to
shrivel the beggars up.

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.
Old 15-07-2004, 01:42 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
sarah wrote:

I don't find Derris very effective.

That last is helpful, as it's all our local shop sells. Do you have a
local supplier of Savona, or do you buy online?

Effectively online (e.g. by telephone). Green Gardener (though they
are not allowed to list it in their catalogue, for bureaucratic and
monopolistic reasons) or Tuckers (Devon). Either will post a litre,
which lasts for ages.

I don't know if it is any good at eliminating nits from children's
hair, but it probably is, though it isn't licensed for that. Anyway,
it is just soap solution, so is pretty harmless to humans.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Blackfly Ron United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
Blackfly Ron United Kingdom 1 23-06-2003 09:56 PM
Rhubarb and blackfly. Ron United Kingdom 5 19-06-2003 07:56 AM
Greenfly, Blackfly Kay Easton United Kingdom 0 28-04-2003 09:56 AM
Blackfly/greenfly cure geoff United Kingdom 0 12-04-2003 01:56 PM