Old 15-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Victoria Clare

Default When to harvest Asparagus Peas?

My Asparagus peas (google says Tetragonolobus purpureus or Lotus
tetragonolobus: I have no idea) have been flowering well and have produced
a number of pods.

I've never grown them before. How big should the pods be before
harvesting?

Any recipe recommendations, or just butter like asparagus?

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 15-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Kay

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
My Asparagus peas (google says Tetragonolobus purpureus or Lotus
tetragonolobus: I have no idea) have been flowering well and have produced
a number of pods.

I've never grown them before. How big should the pods be before
harvesting?

Not more than about an inch long - they get tough.

Any recipe recommendations, or just butter like asparagus?

Like asparagus.

They taste nice, and the flowers are pretty (red with a black spot), but
the pods are small and fiddly to harvest. It takes an awful lot to get a
meal. I don't think I'd grow it again for food, but see what you think.
--
Kay

Old 16-07-2004, 12:19 AM
sarah

Victoria Clare wrote:

My Asparagus peas (google says Tetragonolobus purpureus or Lotus
tetragonolobus: I have no idea) have been flowering well and have produced
a number of pods.

I've never grown them before. How big should the pods be before
harvesting?

Less than 1.5" or even smaller, otherwise they're dry and mealy.

Any recipe recommendations, or just butter like asparagus?

I buttered them like nice peas or asparagus, and concluded they weren't
worth the butter :-)

regards
sarah

--
NB. Note change of *usenet* email address:
'amitiel.demon.do.uk' will soon cease to function.