Old 16-07-2004, 09:14 AM
mike. buckley

Default Toms indoors?

Posted this into another thread and it's been ignored, so I'll try
again.

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 16-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Sue

I've seen them grown in a school classroom. Don't know if they ripened
though. If I were a tomato sideshoot I think I would rather that happen to
me than be put on a compost heap! I shall read your other posts with
interest.

Sue

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
http://www.toastyhamster.freeserve.co.uk
BONY#38

---

Old 16-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Sue da Nimm

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
Posted this into another thread and it's been ignored, so I'll try
again.

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

We had a few gardeners delight seedlings left last year and grew them on a
windowsill.
We got a few tomatoes off them, but it wasn't really worth the effort - and
they don't look particularly pretty on the window sill!

Old 16-07-2004, 12:17 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
Posted this into another thread and it's been ignored, so I'll try
again.

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

Are they sensitive to light intensity and day length?
You may need broad spectrum artificial light to get them to grow well
through the winter.

Old 16-07-2004, 01:17 PM
mike. buckley

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
. uk...
Posted this into another thread and it's been ignored, so I'll try
again.

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

Are they sensitive to light intensity and day length?
You may need broad spectrum artificial light to get them to grow well
through the winter.

I have no idea.

This is rapidly becoming a "stick it in a pot and see what happens" type
of plan.

Old 16-07-2004, 04:24 PM
pronoun

I sow mine in Feb, been harvesting last couple of weeks, in wet South Wales

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
news
In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes

===========cut=========

Old 21-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Mike Lyle

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
Posted this into another thread and it's been ignored, so I'll try
again.

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

Are they sensitive to light intensity and day length?
You may need broad spectrum artificial light to get them to grow well
through the winter.

I'd really only bother for the fun of it, and with only "a bit of sun
every day" I doubt if there'd be much fun. I took some through to
Christmas in a south-facing window six feet high and about six wide in
West Wales; but long before Christmas they'd definitely become a waste
of space. A better gardener than I, and fresher plants than I was
using, would have done a bit better, but I don't think anybody can do
very much good without a well-organized glass-house once summer's
gone.

Mike.
Old 21-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Les &/or Claire

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
Posted this into another thread and it's been ignored, so I'll try
again.

Is it possible to grow Toms indoors year round? I don't have an ideal
spot, being a utility room that gets a bit of sun during the day. It
will be fairly warm as the combi sits in there.
I'm planning to give it a go with a few side shoots I've snipped off
lately, is it worth bothering - or shall I give up now?

Are they sensitive to light intensity and day length?
You may need broad spectrum artificial light to get them to grow well
through the winter.

......."No Officer! They really are tomatoes!.......... heh heh

Les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep
within ourselves and decide what we wish to become." Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

toms p.mc United Kingdom 4 11-08-2004 04:41 AM
Toms indoors? mike. buckley United Kingdom 1 22-07-2004 05:27 PM
Tumbler Toms The Grate Denini United Kingdom 8 27-05-2004 05:45 PM
A helping hand for stunted toms Julie United Kingdom 1 27-05-2004 07:03 AM
Toms & Straws in baskets Graham Dixon United Kingdom 14 27-10-2003 11:22 AM