Old 22-07-2004, 12:29 AM
gary smith

Default Advice on Rabbits v Bamboo ???

I am thinking about plants some different varieties of bamboo.

But I have a small rabbit population.

Does anyone have any experience of rabbits eating bamboo shoots.

And no jokes about chinese take aways plz.

TIA
Old 22-07-2004, 12:29 AM
JennyC

"gary smith" wrote in message
I am thinking about plants some different varieties of bamboo.

But I have a small rabbit population.

Does anyone have any experience of rabbits eating bamboo shoots.

And no jokes about chinese take aways plz.
TIA

Beware of the Armani rabbit (http://www.animalinfo.org/species/pentfurn.htm)
!!!!!!!!!!!
The Amami rabbit weighs 2 - 3 kg (4.4 - 6.6 lb). It is found in dense forests of
all successional stages, especially old growth forest. It has also been observed
in cut-over areas and forest edges covered by Japanese pampas grass. It has not
been observed in cultivated or residential areas. Its food includes bamboo
shoots, berries and the leaves and stems of sweet potatoes. The Amami rabbit is
generally nocturnal. Burrows are used for dens and nests. Two litters of 2-3
young are born each year.

The Amami rabbit is only known to have occurred on two Japanese islands: Amami
Oshima and Tokuno-shima, in the Ryukyu Archipelago south of the island of
Kyushu. By 1900 its numbers were considerably reduced by over-hunting. In 1997
it was still reported to occur on both islands.

Jenny :~)))))

Old 22-07-2004, 12:30 AM
gary smith

I do not think I get too many 'Armani rabbits' here in Warks, UK.

All I get is 'Oryctolagus cuniculus' the UK wild rabbit and the odd
Muntjac deer 'Muntiacus reevesi'.

So do wild rabbits have a taste for bamboo ???.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:44:15 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Armani rabbit