Old 22-07-2004, 11:05 AM
gary smith

Default Advice on Rabbits v Bamboo ???

I am thinking about plants some different varieties of bamboo.

But I have a small rabbit population.

Does anyone have any experience of rabbits eating bamboo shoots.

And no jokes about chinese take aways plz.

TIA
Old 22-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Broadback

gary smith wrote:
I do not think I get too many 'Armani rabbits' here in Warks, UK.

All I get is 'Oryctolagus cuniculus' the UK wild rabbit and the odd
Muntjac deer 'Muntiacus reevesi'.

So do wild rabbits have a taste for bamboo ???.

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 13:44:15 +0200, "JennyC" wrote:

Armani rabbit

While I do not grow bamboo, so can't be certain I would be very
surprised if they do not eat it. Although there are some plants that
are rabbit resistant the stress is on resistant. for example they are
not supposed to eat tulips, but they certainly enjoyed mine this Spring.

The only way, up to now, I've been able to protect anything is by making
it rabbit proof with wire netting. :-(

--
Please reply to the Newsgroup.
All emails sent to this address are automatically deleted.

Old 26-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Dave Poole

Gary Smith wrote:

I am thinking about plants some different varieties of bamboo.
But I have a small rabbit population.
Does anyone have any experience of rabbits eating bamboo shoots.
And no jokes about chinese take aways plz.

We have a large population of rabbits at work and have to fence off
growing areas to prevent crops being decimated. Outside of these
areas, there are clumps and hedges of Fargesia nitida, F. murielae and
Phyllostachys aurea. None of these appear to suffer any damage.
However, we are right out in the countryside where there is always
plenty of fresh greenery for rabbits to eat throughout the year.

I note that you appear to be writing form Oz. With fresh young (wild)
shoots being restricted to those rare rainy periods (assuming you live
south of Brisbane), rabbits may well pay unwanted attention to
cultivated and irrigated plants of any sort - including bamboo.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November