Old 22-07-2004, 12:37 AM
les

Default Geraniums and Ivy

This year for the first time I planted some geraniums in the same planters
as ivy (to create a trailing effect). The geraniums have not flowered
properly and the display has been very disappointing. Could it be that I
made a mistake putting them with the ivy?

Old 22-07-2004, 04:09 PM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:59:11 +0100, "les"
wrote:

This year for the first time I planted some geraniums in the same planters
as ivy (to create a trailing effect). The geraniums have not flowered
properly and the display has been very disappointing. Could it be that I
made a mistake putting them with the ivy?

Do you mean pelargoniums, i.e. the geraniums that need to be taken in
during the winter? If so, they should have been OK with the ivy
unless they got very wet. The big flowered geraniums like to be a bit
on the dry side and to have a good feed from time to time (potash for
flowering), Its all trial and error with our gardening. I have again
this year put regal pelargoniums in a basket with fuschia and they
look a bit daft really. All of it is flowering - its just that the
pelargonium is so big and so strong and is full of large flowers.
Thus, another note to be stuck on the wall of the potting shed.
Diana

Old 22-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Mike Lyle

"les" wrote in message . ..
This year for the first time I planted some geraniums in the same planters
as ivy (to create a trailing effect). The geraniums have not flowered
properly and the display has been very disappointing. Could it be that I
made a mistake putting them with the ivy?

Both are pretty tough customers, but ivies do tend to monopolize the
surface. Did your geraniums (let's be clear: you do mean pelargoniums
not cranesbills, don't you?) put on normal growth, or stay rather
stunted?

If they didn't grow nicely, my first guess would be that they didn't
get a chance to develop a good root system, and for that I'd probably
blame competition from the already-established ivy. Why not gently get
one out to see if its roots have spread beyond the original pot size?

Assuming the containers are big enough, if they're filled with a peaty
mixture, there could be a problem with watering, because once these
mixtures have dried out they can be very resistant to absorbing more
water. The ivy wouldn't mind this so much. The soil may also be
exhausted by the demands of the ivy, so even if you can get the water
to soak in (a drop of washing-up liquid can help) you may need to
include soluble fertilizer such as Phostrogen.

I think if I were doing it I'd dig out a hole the size of a 4-6" pot
for each pelargonium and fill it with fresh growing medium; if the
digging broke off some ivy roots it wouldn't matter. If there isn't
that much space, I don't think I'd be confident.

Mike.

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Geraniums and Ivy les United Kingdom 0 21-07-2004 11:23 PM
Geraniums and Ivy les United Kingdom 0 21-07-2004 09:41 PM
Geraniums and Ivy les United Kingdom 2 16-07-2004 12:19 AM