Old 22-07-2004, 08:08 AM
David Hill

Default For Phil L

Thank you so much for explaining how to use this news group.I just wonder
how I have managed to exist here for the last 5 or so years without your
kind and enlightening help.

Could it be that most of us know that threads can move along from the
original posting to cover a wider range if information as the move on.

If you think that every reply is aimed for your attention only then I have
bad news for you.....they're not.

Don't bother replying to this as I have no intention of starting a thread
that will be even more boring with each posting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Charlie Pridham

"David Hill" wrote in message
Thank you so much for explaining how to use this news group.I just wonder
how I have managed to exist here for the last 5 or so years without your
kind and enlightening help.

Could it be that most of us know that threads can move along from the
original posting to cover a wider range if information as the move on.

If you think that every reply is aimed for your attention only then I have
bad news for you.....they're not.

Don't bother replying to this as I have no intention of starting a thread
that will be even more boring with each posting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Ah, raining your way too I see! :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 22-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Phil L

David Hill wrote:
:: Thank you so much for explaining how to use this news group.I just
:: wonder how I have managed to exist here for the last 5 or so years
:: without your kind and enlightening help.
::
Don't mention it.

:: Could it be that most of us know that threads can move along from
:: the original posting to cover a wider range if information as the
:: move on.
::
Yes, and threads can fan out from one main thread, sometimes covering many
subjects, the idea is to try and follow the thread and post on topic, to the
person to whom you are aiming your comments....EG - if someone asks which
type of potato is best, you'll get subthreads covering maris pipers,
cheshires, jersey royals etc etc etc - it's no good just bunging your
tuppennyworth just anywhere.

:: If you think that every reply is aimed for your attention only
:: then I have bad news for you.....they're not.
::
I never implied they were, you were aiming your comments to the OP but
didn't.

:: Don't bother replying to this as I have no intention of starting a
:: thread that will be even more boring with each posting.
::
Looks like you already did!

Old 22-07-2004, 10:05 PM
tuin man

"David Hill" wrote in message
snipped

Don't bother replying to this as I have no intention of starting a thread
that will be even more boring with each posting.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Do you think you could have made the bait just a little bit more obvious?
Sorry David, but having looked at the threads involved, you don't have a leg
to stand on.

And phil,;
Get over it(-;

Patrick

Old 22-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Phil L

tuin man wrote:
:: "David Hill" wrote in
:: message ...
:: snipped
:::
::: Don't bother replying to this as I have no intention of starting
::: a thread that will be even more boring with each posting.
:::
::: --
::: David Hill
::: Abacus nurseries
::: www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
::
:: Do you think you could have made the bait just a little bit more
:: obvious? Sorry David, but having looked at the threads involved,
:: you don't have a leg to stand on.
::
:: And phil,;
:: Get over it(-;

I am over it, it just seems to me that when a newcomer such as myself dares
to give advice (and good quality advice too!), someone can't help having a
dig (excuse the pun!).
For David to (inadvertently) aim his comments at me, then to go into
pedantic overdrive about the amount of sensors once he'd realised what had
happened, is pathetic - even once I'd explained to him what had actually
happened he still spat his dummy out and proclaimed that he's been doing it
for 5 years....but still has an unmunged email address.

Old 23-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I am over it, it just seems to me that when a newcomer such as myself dares
to give advice (and good quality advice too!),

Unfortunately, it wasn't. Your comments and advice about post-threading
were hopelessly confused and wrong. You have repeatedly got the wrong
end of the stick, made a complete idiot of yourself, and blamed David
for your own errors.

Janet.

Old 23-07-2004, 01:44 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Douglas" wrote in message

Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

***********

Charlie!, Did you ever hear of a HarryVincent Denny who lectured on

Clematis
all
over the Country and in Poland too?. His nursery was at Woodplumpton,

near
Preston, Lancs..
Doug.

**********

Yes, lovely man, great hybridiser of clematis, Sylvia Denny and Broughton
Star are both his. He died 2 or 3 years ago now, but I am still in touch
with Sylvia on an occasional basis.

Old 23-07-2004, 03:08 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:32:22 +0100, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I am over it, it just seems to me that when a newcomer such as myself dares
to give advice (and good quality advice too!),

Unfortunately, it wasn't. Your comments and advice about post-threading
were hopelessly confused and wrong. You have repeatedly got the wrong
end of the stick, made a complete idiot of yourself, and blamed David
for your own errors.

Do you speak to people like that in real life?
--
Martin

Old 24-07-2004, 12:17 PM
tuin man

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Phil L" contains these words:

I am over it, it just seems to me that when a newcomer such as myself

dares
to give advice (and good quality advice too!),

Hah! "...over it..." and then rant. me thinks you contradict yourself.

Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Wrong Janet. The response he refers to was his initial response containing 3
websites. Unless you found them wanting, in which case it is your critique
of them, in turn which is lacking in direction.
Ok, so he could have gone all helpfully pedantic and pointed out the
grammactical oddities that david then tripped over.
But then david didn't either!
If he did err, it was to assume david's post was directed at him. But why
should he think so,why should he ask the question when he has the answers,
how would david know anything about his garden's size-- unless off line, he
and david know each other and have brought their little spate in here

Your comments and advice about post-threading
were hopelessly confused and wrong.

No they weren't. Unless you want to equate him with a net nanny who really
should have checked the facts first!!!
You know, I even had to double check if that is the real you!

David posted a response, in which he had deleted every scrap of information
as to who or what he was responding to.
That in itself would ordinarily draw out moans from net nanny's, even
though it's a thing of nothing.

Actually, having noticed how many responses to me off -late have eliminated
all evidence of me, I had assumed david was following some sort of new
trend -- which net nanny's hadn't noticed (-;

But having made such an ommission, David's eagerness for matching brevity,
whilst tripping over the OP's mixture of plurals and singulars, resulted in
a reply which could only be understood by those of us who knew what he was
getting at.

But that provided zero illumination for someone who might not. So, in
effect, apart from lack of references, David posted, saying something which,
for those in the know would equate to an unnecessary repeat --- something
you have objected to not so long ago (Doug)--- whilst explaining nothing for
those in the dark.

You have repeatedly got the wrong
end of the stick, made a complete idiot of yourself, and blamed David
for your own errors.

No he didn't. David took a shovel and kept digging. But now that he has
somehow managed to extract himself--- something which is never easy to do--
he can at least smile as he sees that though he may no longer be down there,
there are others who are.

Speaking of which, it's time for me to leave you all.
It turned out to be a much longer re-visit that planned. But then it was
interesting
BTW, for anyone interested, References wise, one way to level the playing
field between university graduates and those pigeon holed as mere workers,
is the use of a word derived from profession, e.g, professionally,
professionalism.

Bye bye

Patrick

Old 24-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Phil L

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Phil L" contains these words:
::
::
::: I am over it, it just seems to me that when a newcomer such as
::: myself dares to give advice (and good quality advice too!),
::
:: Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Unfortunately it was...try reading the thread concerned whre someone asked
for info on a moisture sensor - I gave him three webpages, all based in the
UK who either manufacture or sell them, how is that not good quality?

:: Your comments and advice about
:: post-threading were hopelessly confused and wrong.

No, they were not, they were correct - as you will see when I click 'send' -
this reply is aimed directly at you and not anyone else in this thread, and
so will appear directly underneath yours, a little to the right...if
everyone just posted wherever and however they felt like, threads would be
unreadable.

:: You have
:: repeatedly got the wrong end of the stick, made a complete idiot
:: of yourself, and blamed David for your own errors.

Not at all, once I realised the DH was in fact replying to the OP and not to
me, I pointed this out to him, but unsurprisingly, he didn't thank me at all
and decided to start a new thread called 'For Phil L' where he continued his
tantrum.

Old 24-07-2004, 09:49 PM
Phil L

Janet Baraclough.. wrote:
:: The message
:: from "Phil L" contains these words:
::
:: ...if
::: everyone just posted wherever and however they felt like, threads
::: would be unreadable.
::
:: This group has survived many failed attempts to make it
:: unreadable.Tactics used include the personal targetting of
:: respected longterm gardening contributors with dishonest attempts
:: to discredit them in various ways; attempts to disrupt threads and
:: confuse newbies to usenet; and the posting of meaningless
:: random-junk messages.

Which is how I came to post here in the first place - to inform the
crossposting trolls and those in this group who continually reply to them,
to cut the newsgroup names from the headers.

Btw, what a lot of random-junk messages
:: appear in your posting history.

I presume you are referring to the sporge attacks in
free.uk.internet.blueyonder.poor.service?
These are all from a Trowbridge user if you check the IP address, my IP
address is Knowsley - about 250 miles away (HTH)
::
:: Anyone for a game of snap?

You don't need to get your knickers in a twist - I posted some useful
information to help someone out, David jumped in and informed me that I must
have a small garden ! -when I corrected him, he spat his dummy out and then
you jumped on the bandwagon...I am here to help and maybe learn something
about gardening, so you can go and play out your Miss Marple investigations
somewhere else, If my regular group was free of the crossposted kak that
originates and is propogated from here, then maybe I could visit that
occasionally.

Go to Sleep, Phalaenopsis Phil [email protected] Orchids 4 28-03-2006 05:46 AM
Bluegill Phil (Question)? Ponds 1 12-06-2004 03:02 AM
found it Phil Geusz (was anybody remember?) [email protected] Ponds 5 18-08-2003 03:03 AM