Old 22-07-2004, 04:12 PM
BridgeP

Default New Spuds for Xmas

Hi Guys/Gals

Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to prepare selected tubers from the
crop presently being dug to enable them to be planted in pots about Oct time
ready to crop at Xmas?

The variety is Charlotte.

Peter Bridge
Old 22-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Alan Gould

In article , BridgeP
writes
Hi Guys/Gals

Can anybody tell me whether it is possible to prepare selected tubers from the
crop presently being dug to enable them to be planted in pots about Oct time
ready to crop at Xmas?

The variety is Charlotte.

Yes you should be able to do that, but Oct. may be rather late for
planting unless you can provide them with enough light and temperature
at that time. We are going to chit some now, then plant them in the
polytunnel in August. That has worked for us for the past 2 years.

Marshall's and other companies offer specially heat-treated tubers for
Xmas cropping if required.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Alan Gould

In article , BridgeP
writes
Thanks for that. The intention was to plant then in pots to go into the
greenhouse. Will chitting them actually work this year? I had assumed that
they would require a period of dormancy.

In theory, yes. But in theory potatoes are not meant to be dug fresh at
Xmas time. The crop will be small compared to normally grown outdoor
ones, but herald angels will sing to the gardener who succeeds! :-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 22-07-2004, 07:42 PM
BridgeP

In article , Alan Gould

Subject: New Spuds for Xmas
From: Alan Gould
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 14:22:30 +0100

In article , BridgeP
writes
Thanks for that. The intention was to plant then in pots to go into the
greenhouse. Will chitting them actually work this year? I had assumed that
they would require a period of dormancy.

In theory, yes. But in theory potatoes are not meant to be dug fresh at
Xmas time. The crop will be small compared to normally grown outdoor
ones, but herald angels will sing to the gardener who succeeds! :-)
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Just intended as a taster to go with Xmas dinner. If you hear a heavenly
choir, accompanied by celestial trumpets on XD then you wiill know I have
succeeded.

Peter Bridge

New Spuds for Xmas BridgeP United Kingdom 15 22-07-2004 08:20 AM
New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Spuds Neil Trotter United Kingdom 2 13-06-2003 12:08 PM
Black leaves on spuds - Beans too Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM