Old 24-07-2004, 10:13 AM
Les &/or Claire

Default Tamarind Tree

I've just managed to germinate 3 Tamarind trees. They all have their first
"true" leaves opening. Has anyone else got any experience with these things?
Destined to be houseplants I think due to lack of conservatory. Any idea
what to expect?

Les

--
http://www.stuffmongers.com

"Homo sapiens, the first truly free species, is about to decommission
natural selection, the force that made us.... Soon we must look deep within
ourselves and decide what we wish to become."
Edward O. Wilson
Consilience, The Unity of Knowledge

Remove frontal lobes to reply from a NG

Old 24-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Bob Hobden

"Les wrote
I've just managed to germinate 3 Tamarind trees. They all have their first
"true" leaves opening. Has anyone else got any experience with these

things?
Destined to be houseplants I think due to lack of conservatory. Any idea
what to expect?

Something the size of a large oak tree! :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 25-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Joe Fogey

I grew one a few years ago. They get pretty big. The nice thing about them
is that the leaves close at night.

Fogey

Old 25-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Les &/or Claire

Joe Fogey wrote:
I grew one a few years ago. They get pretty big. The nice thing about
them is that the leaves close at night.

Fogey

Just peeked at them in the bathroom ( their first night indoors as
houseplants ) and your right! They do remind me of the sensitive plant,
perhaps a relation using the same mechanism from a different stimulus?

Les

Old 26-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Tim Tyler

Les &/or Claire wrote or quoted:
Joe Fogey wrote:

I grew one a few years ago. They get pretty big. The nice thing about
them is that the leaves close at night.

Just peeked at them in the bathroom ( their first night indoors as
houseplants ) and your right! They do remind me of the sensitive plant,
perhaps a relation using the same mechanism from a different stimulus?

They are both types of Fabaceae.

The family names:

``Fabales; Fabaceae; Mimosoideae; Mimoseae
Fabales; Fabaceae; Caesalpinioideae; Detarieae; Tamarindus''

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi
--