Old 13-06-2006, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Default Tamarind plants

Dear all,

I was given some tamarind seeds a couple of years ago and planted four
of them earlier this year. They are now sprouting well, to my surprise, and
I am wondering how to get them to survive the winter.

Is there any chance they will continue to grow if I bring them indoors
when it gets cold? I don't have a conservatory, unfortunately, but I do have
a south-facing kitchen window. I'm in Ramsgate, Kent, and we don't get
tremendously cold winters.

Si

Old 13-06-2006, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Space

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Dear all,

I was given some tamarind seeds a couple of years ago and planted four
of them earlier this year. They are now sprouting well, to my surprise,

and
I am wondering how to get them to survive the winter.

Is there any chance they will continue to grow if I bring them indoors
when it gets cold? I don't have a conservatory, unfortunately, but I do

have
a south-facing kitchen window. I'm in Ramsgate, Kent, and we don't get
tremendously cold winters.

Si

sorry I can't help, I tend to lurk

however.......

winter - I must have had a very very long sleep last night
:-)

Old 13-06-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Space wrote:
"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Dear all,

I was given some tamarind seeds a couple of years ago and
planted four of them earlier this year. They are now sprouting well,
to my surprise, and I am wondering how to get them to survive the
winter.

sorry I can't help, I tend to lurk

......ok

however.......

winter - I must have had a very very long sleep last night
:-)

The reason I ask is that I once grew a mango tree from seed which grew to
well over a foot high but gave up the ghost one winter. This wasn't helped
by my mother-in-law "pruning" it, admittedly.

Si

Old 13-06-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

Default Tamarind plants / indian herbs & spices

snip

mungo,

I have a huge interest in indian food

did you just plant these ordinarily, any special considerations?
I have tamarind from the asian shop
and it has seeds in it, is this where you got yours?

Is there anything indian else you have managed to grow
apart from coriander
(curry leaves?, fenugreek leaves?)

cheers

4

Old 13-06-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

fourmations wrote:
snip

mungo,

I have a huge interest in indian food

Me too. uk.food+drink.indian is "my" group Well, I proposed it and fought
for its creation anyway.

did you just plant these ordinarily, any special considerations?
I have tamarind from the asian shop
and it has seeds in it, is this where you got yours?

I was given them by one of the posters on UFDI - they arrived in a matchbox
and I forgot to plant them for two years! This year I just buried them in
normal compost at the same time as the tomatoes and runners and they just
grew.

I believe I've still got some left - I had a look for them earlier as it
happens but couldn't find them. If I do find them I'll gladly post some to
you, if you want to try growing them. They are quite large seeds - about
runner bean size.

Is there anything indian else you have managed to grow
apart from coriander
(curry leaves?, fenugreek leaves?)

I've only ever tried coriander and that wasn't overly successful. I did use
culinary seeds rather than ones specifically for planting though, if it
makes a difference.

Si

Old 13-06-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Following up to "fourmations" :

snip

mungo,

I have a huge interest in indian food

did you just plant these ordinarily, any special considerations?
I have tamarind from the asian shop
and it has seeds in it, is this where you got yours?

Is there anything indian else you have managed to grow
apart from coriander
(curry leaves?, fenugreek leaves?)

Ginger is relatively easy.
--
Tim C.
Old 13-06-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
fourmations

snip

Is there anything indian else you have managed to grow
apart from coriander
(curry leaves?, fenugreek leaves?)

Ginger is relatively easy.
--
Tim C.

Hi Mungo, I have been known to prop up on udfi myself
asking wierd questions, (see my latest!)

i would love to grow methi and curry leaves specifically
because they are items I can never get fresh

Tim,
I read up on ginger but never did anything about it,
is it as easy as bunging supermarket ginger ina bucket?

rgds

4

Old 13-06-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Following up to "fourmations" :

Hi Mungo, I have been known to prop up on udfi myself
asking wierd questions, (see my latest!)

i would love to grow methi and curry leaves specifically
because they are items I can never get fresh

Methi is fenugreek leaves, right? Trigonella oenum-graecum?
In that case it should be easy to grow it in a sheltered spot. It comes
from the Mediterranean area originally and is known as a garden plant
attractive to butterflies in Germany.
I might give it a try myself, I'd never thought of trying it before. I've
got a spare patch in the garden.

You can grow nigella/kalonji easily. - I've got my first small patch
growing in the garden in Austria. (the ornamental forms are sometimes known
as Love-in-a-mist)

Coriander needs warmth, but doesn't like too much direct sun. I have had
success growing it in the shade of a dense row of raspberry canes in the
garden. (about 2-3 feet away). If it gets too sunburnt or dry it tends to
bolt.

Tim,
I read up on ginger but never did anything about it,
is it as easy as bunging supermarket ginger ina bucket?

No, not really. They're quite attractive plants though.
--
Tim C.
Old 13-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot
Dear all,

I was given some tamarind seeds a couple of years ago and planted four
of them earlier this year. They are now sprouting well, to my surprise, and
I am wondering how to get them to survive the winter.

Is there any chance they will continue to grow if I bring them indoors
when it gets cold? I don't have a conservatory, unfortunately, but I do have
a south-facing kitchen window. I'm in Ramsgate, Kent, and we don't get
tremendously cold winters.

Si
I have no experience of growing, but lots of experience eating. I'm sure you could overwinter indoors as long as it got lots of light but Tamarinds grow into huge trees. I expect it would get too big very quickly. I think some varieties get up to 80'. Its great fun to grow them though even if they may have to be abandoned in the end. I shall have a go myself next time I get hold of some seeds. Its pretty foliage too I seem to remember.
Old 13-06-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these words:

I've only ever tried coriander and that wasn't overly successful. I did use
culinary seeds rather than ones specifically for planting though, if it
makes a difference.

There are two sorts of edible coriander; one with spidery leaves
grown to produce the culinary seeds, and one with larger flat leaves
which is the sort to use when a recipe calls for a handful of chopped
coriander. So, the culinary seeds you planted would not produce the leaf
one if that's what you wanted.

You'll find seed of the leaf sort sold in any GC as cilantro, it's easy
to grow sown in the open garden and not too late to start a crop now.
Don't transplant them, it makes them bolt to flower and then they stop
leaf production.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry

Old 13-06-2006, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" contains these
words:

I've only ever tried coriander and that wasn't overly successful. I
did use culinary seeds rather than ones specifically for planting
though, if it makes a difference.

There are two sorts of edible coriander; one with spidery leaves
grown to produce the culinary seeds, and one with larger flat leaves
which is the sort to use when a recipe calls for a handful of chopped
coriander. So, the culinary seeds you planted would not produce the
leaf one if that's what you wanted.

That'll be why it didn't work then! Thank you, I thought as much.

You'll find seed of the leaf sort sold in any GC as cilantro, it's
easy
to grow sown in the open garden and not too late to start a crop now.
Don't transplant them, it makes them bolt to flower and then they stop
leaf production.

Brilliant, many thanks; I'll get some. I *never* have any coriander in when
I want it so it'll be nice to have some growing. It freezes well too, if I
end up with loads of it.

Si

Old 13-06-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot

trin wrote:

I have no experience of growing, but lots of experience eating.

Heh.

I'm
sure you could overwinter indoors as long as it got lots of light but
Tamarinds grow into huge trees. I expect it would get too big very
quickly. I think some varieties get up to 80'.

Yes, I read up on them earlier and found some pictures to be absolutely sure
they were tamarinds - they are.

Its great fun to grow
them though even if they may have to be abandoned in the end.

But I was really upset when my mango died!

I shall
have a go myself next time I get hold of some seeds. Its pretty
foliage too I seem to remember.

It is - like a fat fern. The seed pods come out of the soil on a stalk and
then split, exposing fluffy foliage. They're like aliens.

Si

Old 13-06-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:34:52 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

hello to another ukrm refugee

On a Gardeners World special about allotments a couple of years ago
there was an Asian gardener who came from a long line of farmers /
gardeners in Pakistan.

He grew all sorts of amazing things. One of those was coriander. He
lightly "ground" or bruised the seeds between rocks / stones before
planting to break the outer coating. This facilitated germination. The
other thing was that he never watered his plants - he argued this forced
them to put down strong roots by searching for moisture.

Dear old Monty said he was going to try the seed "grounding" technique
as he had struggled to get coriander to grow effectively. I've not seen
any feedback as to whether Monty was any more successful.

As I know next to nothing about gardening and plants you may well wish
to pay more attention to the resident experts than me!
--
Paul C

Old 13-06-2006, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"fourmations" wrote

snip

mungo,

I have a huge interest in indian food

did you just plant these ordinarily, any special considerations?
I have tamarind from the asian shop
and it has seeds in it, is this where you got yours?

Is there anything indian else you have managed to grow
apart from coriander
(curry leaves?, fenugreek leaves?)

We have two different types of genuine Sag/Saag growing on the allotment.
Asian friend brought the seeds back for us from a farming relative in the
Punjab recently but doesn't know the names of them although she did say one
is the very best type. Unlike our Spinach these are obviously both brassicas
judging by the colour and the flea beetle damage.
Germination was about 100% and took only a three days.
Problem now is when to harvest.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-06-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C.

Following up to "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" :

There are two sorts of edible coriander; one with spidery leaves
grown to produce the culinary seeds, and one with larger flat leaves
which is the sort to use when a recipe calls for a handful of chopped
coriander. So, the culinary seeds you planted would not produce the
leaf one if that's what you wanted.

That'll be why it didn't work then! Thank you, I thought as much.

But the one with frilly leaves (a bit like a cross between dill and
parsley) can be used just as well and taste the same.

--
Tim C.