Old 24-07-2004, 12:18 PM
michael2

Default Pumpkin Help please

I posted this two days ago and got no replies maybe it was the title
so I've put a new title. So can any body offer advice?

I have read somewhere that Pumpkin seeds taken from a pumpkin
generally dont breed true. I am asking this as I saved some seeds from
one last year and have grown two plants which are doing well. Now on
them I have growing things that are almost round but are green and
stripped like marrows in fact a better description would be to call
them stubby marrows as the stalk enters them from the side not the
top. Will these become orange pumpkins or will they remain stubby
marrows, also if they will become pumpkins do I need to turn them so
the stalk enters from the top?
Old 24-07-2004, 02:08 PM
Robert

om...
:
: I have read somewhere that Pumpkin seeds taken from a pumpkin
: generally dont breed true. I am asking this as I saved some seeds from
: one last year and have grown two plants which are doing well. Now on
: them I have growing things that are almost round but are green and
: stripped like marrows in fact a better description would be to call
: them stubby marrows as the stalk enters them from the side not the
: top. Will these become orange pumpkins or will they remain stubby
: marrows, also if they will become pumpkins do I need to turn them so
: the stalk enters from the top?

Even if they don't come true, they will produce something of interest as you
have found. I find the best way is to leave well alone except for cutting
off the odd leaf or two that blots out something else. Otherwise bits break
off and you wish you had let it be. Have you tried seeds of Italy? They do a
very interesting pack of seeds for different pumpkins and it's online