Old 25-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Ros Butt

Default help in freezing runner beans

Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched? I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks
Ros
Chichester
West Sussex, UK.
Old 25-07-2004, 04:27 PM
redclay

Ros Butt wrote in message
news
Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched? I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Any help would be great.

Blanch them because the heat stops all biological processes. If just frozen
they come out as mush. Have you ever tried pickling some; not too bad in
the winter.

Old 25-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Sue da Nimm

"redclay" wrote in message
news

Blanch them because the heat stops all biological processes. If just
frozen
they come out as mush. Have you ever tried pickling some; not too bad in
the winter.

Have to disagree!
Following advice from this NG we no longer blanch. We were still eating last
year's frozen beans as we started picking this years .... and not one batch
could be described as mush. We find there is absolutely no difference
whatsoever between the two methods, so are very happy to have stopped
wasting time and energy with blanching.

Old 25-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Ros Butt
writes
Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched? I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Many years ago we used to blanch vegetables to be frozen. We almost
never do that now because our methods of growing, harvesting and
freezing make it unnecessary. Commercial processors are obliged by law
to blanch food to be sold to the public, but home grown produce treated
properly should not need it.

Select only high quality fresh young produce for freezing. We grow all
ours organically and we think that is an advantage, but that doesn't
mean that non-organic fruit and veg. cannot be frozen. Prepare the beans
or whatever immediately after picking. If left, they can begin to
develop enzymes, lose vitamin C and deteriorate in other ways. Store
them packed flat in freezer bags, so that when they are taken out, they
will not be frozen together in a lump. It is better not to re-cook any
defrosted food, but surplus can be kept in the freezer compartment of a
fridge for a day or so.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

Old 25-07-2004, 10:04 PM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:25:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"redclay" wrote in message
news

Ros Butt wrote in message
news
Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess

runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no

need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched?

I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Any help would be great.

Blanch them because the heat stops all biological processes.

Only complete cooking stops all biological activity. (Almost all)

a good dose of gamma rays does too

--
Martin
Old 25-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Just Molly

"Ros Butt" wrote in message
news
Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched? I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

I freeze huge quanities of therm as I love them and have runner or french
beans every day, yummy. I have never in my life blanched them. I also freeze
other stuff without blanching, including tomatoes.

Old 25-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:53:11 +0100, Ros Butt
wrote:

Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is no need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus unblanched? I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Any help would be great.

I freeze mine straight off the plant, never had any problems.
Some people say they have had poor results freezing runners - perhaps
some varieties freeze better than others?

I've tried Red Rum and Scarlet Emperor, using Streamline this year.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 25-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:25:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"redclay" wrote in message
news

Ros Butt wrote in message
news Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess

runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is

no
need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus

unblanched?
I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Any help would be great.
Blanch them because the heat stops all biological processes.

Only complete cooking stops all biological activity. (Almost all)

a good dose of gamma rays does too

True, but not many urglers have access to a Cobalt bomb.

Franz

Old 26-07-2004, 10:05 AM

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:53:12 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 17:25:25 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"redclay" wrote in message
news
Ros Butt wrote in message
news Once again, it's coming to the season of busily freezing excess
runners.
I've always blanched them, but I've read recently that there is

no
need to
blanch. Has anyone any experience of blanched versus

unblanched?
I'm not
even sure of the reason for blanching.

Any help would be great.
Blanch them because the heat stops all biological processes.

Only complete cooking stops all biological activity. (Almost all)

a good dose of gamma rays does too

True, but not many urglers have access to a Cobalt bomb.

Only a cobalt 60 source is needed, I am sure many urglers have one in
their garden shed :-)

The food industry has access to chambers that use gamma rays to stop
all biological processes in food.
http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/safe...e/irradfoodqa/
--
Martin