Old 26-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Phil L

Default scorpions?

Ben wrote:
:: Pulling down some old fence panels to replace them today, I
:: disturbed a large number of insects with crab-like pincers on
:: their rear end. They looked like scorpions, but I wasn't aware we
:: had any in the UK. What could they have been?

Scorpions! - we do have them in the UK but they are rare...BTW, if the
pincers were at their back end, it's unlikely they were scorpions -
scorpions look a bit like lobsters, with their pincers at the front, on
their 'arms' ...earwigs have pincers on their rear end?

see he
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/e_flavicaudis.php

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/eflavuk/mast.html

Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
| Ben wrote:
| :: Pulling down some old fence panels to replace them today, I
| :: disturbed a large number of insects with crab-like pincers on
| :: their rear end. They looked like scorpions, but I wasn't aware we
| :: had any in the UK. What could they have been?
|
| Scorpions! - we do have them in the UK but they are rare...BTW, if the
| pincers were at their back end, it's unlikely they were scorpions -
| scorpions look a bit like lobsters, with their pincers at the front, on
| their 'arms' ...earwigs have pincers on their rear end?

Earwigs, almost certainly. Complete harmless, and not even much
of a nuisance in the garden.

There aren't any wild scorpions in the UK, though they might JUST
have established themselves in a few places (almost certainly in
buildings only). The furthest north they get naturally is southern
Europe. They have a sting (NOT pincers) as a tail, that curls up
over their back. Other than that, yes, they look a bit like
miniature lobsters.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 AM
BAC

"Ben" wrote in message
Pulling down some old fence panels to replace them today, I disturbed a
large number of insects with crab-like pincers on their rear end. They
looked like scorpions, but I wasn't aware we had any in the UK. What
could they have been?

There are scorpions in the UK, mostly in small colonies in the south east of
England. However, scorpions have a sting at the rear end, and two crab like
pincers at the front end of their bodies. So, your description doesn't sound
like scorpions.

Common UK insects with pincers at the rear end would be earwigs, and the
somewhat larger Devil's Coach Horse.

Old 26-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Ben

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Phil L" writes:
| Ben wrote:
| :: Pulling down some old fence panels to replace them today, I
| :: disturbed a large number of insects with crab-like pincers on
| :: their rear end. They looked like scorpions, but I wasn't aware we
| :: had any in the UK. What could they have been?
|
| Scorpions! - we do have them in the UK but they are rare...BTW, if the
| pincers were at their back end, it's unlikely they were scorpions -
| scorpions look a bit like lobsters, with their pincers at the front, on
| their 'arms' ...earwigs have pincers on their rear end?

Earwigs, almost certainly. Complete harmless, and not even much
of a nuisance in the garden.

Doh! I've looked up earwigs and thats what they are. I'm amazed that
I've never seen such an apprently common insect before.
Old 26-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Ben

Old 26-07-2004, 10:46 AM
Jeannie

"Ben" wrote in message
Pulling down some old fence panels to replace them today, I disturbed a
large number of insects with crab-like pincers on their rear end. They
looked like scorpions, but I wasn't aware we had any in the UK. What
could they have been?

I once found one of these creatures in my bath and hysterically rang my mum
AND my dad and made them come to my house as I too thought I had discovered
a scorpion. Much laughing at my expense ensued when they realised that it
was in fact an earwig. I am blushing with the embarrassment of it all just
typing this message.

Jeannie

Jeannie

---

Old 26-07-2004, 11:23 AM
Ben

Jeannie wrote:
"Ben" wrote in message

Pulling down some old fence panels to replace them today, I disturbed a
large number of insects with crab-like pincers on their rear end. They
looked like scorpions, but I wasn't aware we had any in the UK. What
could they have been?

I once found one of these creatures in my bath and hysterically rang my mum
AND my dad and made them come to my house as I too thought I had discovered
a scorpion. Much laughing at my expense ensued when they realised that it
was in fact an earwig. I am blushing with the embarrassment of it all just
typing this message.

I really am surprised that I'd never seen one before. Perhaps its down
to different conditions from region to region - based on experience in
other parts of the country I was expecting hoards of woodlice to come
scurrying out, yet there were none.

Old 26-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Ben Blackmore" writes:

| On the subject of scorpions they are in the UK, and becoming more common,
| there was something on the news a few weeks back about the change in the
| weather and warmer climates meaning they are thriving in colonies in the
| south east. They are not your usual 6" long black scorpion with deadly
| poison, more 1cm with a sting like that of a bee!

I know of little evidence for the first. While there may be more
than the one colony reported, they are NOT favoured by the weather
changes, as most of them are dry climate creatures (from choice),
and "warmer and wetter" is not good news. That is why they (and
termites) tend to not establish in the UK except in the occasional
building. I am not even sure if there IS more than the one colony;
it is possible that other claims are merely journalistic fantasy.

Secondly, most tropical scorpions are NOT 6" long, and the larger
ones tend to be LESS poisonous, if anything. The key is to look
at the relative sizes of pincers and sting - if the former are
larger, the poison is likely to be weak.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Scorpions and Lavender qquito Gardening 7 17-11-2006 12:42 PM
Will anoles eat scorpions? Dave-tx Texas 29 20-10-2006 06:43 PM
scorpions in Sheerness Yakman United Kingdom 42 28-07-2004 07:04 PM
scorpions? Ben United Kingdom 0 26-07-2004 12:04 AM
Scorpions in Austin suburbs? Dave Riggleman Texas 8 05-05-2003 11:08 PM