Old 26-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default scorpions?

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:

Scorpions are quite common in the American Southwest (Utah,
Arizona, etc) where the general rule is the smaller the scorpion,
the more dangerous it is. Sure, the big ones pack quite a wallop,
but the little ones can kill you.

I have heard that, as with snakes, you should equate the maximally
lethal USA variety with a poisonous but not lethal African, Indian,
tropical Far Eastern or Australian one :-)

Don't have 'em here. Yet.

I doubt that you will. Notice that all of the colonies in the UK
live in buildings, which makes them dubiously 'wild'. What is the
term for something that naturalises itself only in human constructions?
It isn't wild, feral, domestic, parasitic, commensual, symbiotic or
any of the other terms I know ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On 26 Jul 2004 11:52:04 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

I know of little evidence for the first. While there may be more
than the one colony reported, they are NOT favoured by the weather
changes, as most of them are dry climate creatures (from choice),
and "warmer and wetter" is not good news. That is why they (and
termites) tend to not establish in the UK except in the occasional
building.

Have you not heard of "dampwood termites"? Down in California,
drywood termites are a serious problem -- it's common to see a
house entirely enveloped in a polyethylene shroud for fumigation.
However, they are uncommon in the damper Pacific Northwest.

Instead we have dampwood termites, which are a major factor is
the natural recycling of fallen trees. They are only a problem in
buildings if there's a leaky pipe or wholly inadequate
ventilation that causes serious moisture buildup. The wood has to
be damp for them to attack it.

I've seen the reproductive forms on the wing by the millions at
the mouth of the Columbia River, where the climate is
considerably wetter than it is here; perhaps all the old pilings
in the river have something to do with it. An amazing sight, the
air filled with glitter from their wings in the late afternoon
when the sun is low. And in the little city of Astoria, termites
crawling everywhere. An amazing sight.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 26-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:38:00 +0100, Ben Blackmore wrote:

On the subject of scorpions they are in the UK, and becoming more common,
there was something on the news a few weeks back about the change in the
weather and warmer climates meaning they are thriving in colonies in the
south east. They are not your usual 6" long black scorpion with deadly
poison, more 1cm with a sting like that of a bee!

Old 26-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:
[...]

No, I hadn't. Thanks for the education :-)

The equivalent here is woodworm, combined with death watch beetle,
wet rot and dry rot - all have the characteristics you mention,
despite two being fungi :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Franz Heymann

Default scorpions in Sheerness

"Phil L" wrote in message
Matthew Durkin wrote:
:: I wouldn't advise trying to catch one. I cornered one in Greece

as
:: a child, and was somewhat horrified to find it dispensing with

its
:: tail (in the grip of my hand). They wriggle quite a while after
:: the lizard is gone.

As a keeper of reptiles, I know a little bit about this...The

wriggling of
the shodden tail is to fool predators, they will often shed it when

being
pursued, giving the predator a moving object to attack while they

make their
escape.

:: They apparently grow a new tail. Quite amazing.
::
:: I live just north of london. never seen a scorpion, lizard or
:: snake in the UK. Probably for the better... :O)

Parts of Wales have a good pupulation of snakes, I saw one there as

a child,
about 4 foot long and a sandy beige colour, this is the only wild

snake I've
ever seen in the UK...they are, like my own snakes, very shy of

people and
just want to hide all the time.

The wilder parts of the Penwith peninsula in Cornwall abounds in
adders.

Franz

Old 27-07-2004, 05:37 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 26 Jul 2004 19:57:14 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

...What is the
term for something that naturalises itself only in human constructions?
It isn't wild, feral, domestic, parasitic, commensual, symbiotic or
any of the other terms I know ....

"Obligate commensal" is about as close as you are going to get.

Old 27-07-2004, 08:02 AM
mich

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.207...
(Nick Maclaren) wrote in news:ce2c52$b4u$1
@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk:

There aren't any wild scorpions in the UK, though they might JUST
have established themselves in a few places (almost certainly in
buildings only). The furthest north they get naturally is southern
Europe. They have a sting (NOT pincers) as a tail, that curls up
over their back. Other than that, yes, they look a bit like
miniature lobsters.

Doing rather well in Kent, apparently:

http://arachnophiliac.co.uk/burrow/n...e_beasties.htm

I understand Pseudoscorpions are quite widely distributed in the UK,
though I've never seen one myself.

http://www.uksafari.com/pseudoscorpions.htm

There is also a beetle called the Devils Coachman (?) or something like
that which is sometimes mistaken for a scorpian ( it carries a curled tail
arched over its back). I am surprised no one has mentioned it in all of
this.

Old 27-07-2004, 08:03 AM
mich

[...]

Scorpions and Lavender qquito Gardening 7 17-11-2006 12:42 PM
Will anoles eat scorpions? Dave-tx Texas 29 20-10-2006 06:43 PM
scorpions in Sheerness Yakman United Kingdom 42 28-07-2004 07:04 PM
scorpions? Ben United Kingdom 0 26-07-2004 12:04 AM
Scorpions in Austin suburbs? Dave Riggleman Texas 8 05-05-2003 11:08 PM