Old 27-07-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Pineapple in UK

Hello,

A couple of months back I asked about growing Pineapples in the UK and
the chap at the garden centre and some people here at urg said they
would not ripen because they would not get hot enough. I'm posting to
say you were wrong!

I had two plants both in the green house, but I put one of them under
plastic to give a double greenhouse effect. This was not necessary,
all that happened was the soil kept drying out quicker (which you
would expect since because the plastic was making it hotter...) Both
fruits have now gone yellow.

The stalk was straining under the weight of the fruit so I figured it
was time to harvest them (when is the right time?) and I have just
eaten one; it was delicious! Only fist-sized though, so a bit smaller
and much more expensive than a supermarket one, but nothing beats home
grown!
Old 27-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Phil L

Stephen Howard wrote:
:: On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:08:27 GMT, wrote:
::
::: Hello,
:::
[...]
:: Fist-sized or not - you did it!
::
:: I've just cropped my second cucumber - never grown 'em before.
:: I was a bit impatient with the first one, picked it a tad
:: small...and found it was rather bitter.
:: The second one, somewhat larger, was spot on.
::
:: Nowhere near as exotic as your pineapple - but I bet I'm just as
:: smug!!
::
I'm yearning now for a *proper* cucumber to slice onto my salmon sandwiches!
-My dad always grown cucumbers, tomatoes and runner beans...he died 4 yrs
ago and the greenhouse went to rack and ruin along with the garden...I've
only recently got into it myself after suffering supermarket 'veg' for this
long....for suppers on a late evening, I would make toast and nip down to
the greenhouse and pick a tomato to slice onto it...I didn't need any cheese
or any other fillings...drool...the red spheres from Asda, look like
tomatoes, and that's where the similarity ends!
The cucumbers are no different, I swear to god you can tie knots in 'em
they're that old!

Old 27-07-2004, 12:32 AM
David Hill

http://www.lofthouse.com/hobby/garden/pineapple.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-07-2004, 01:04 AM
David Hill

Old 27-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote in message
Hello,

A couple of months back I asked about growing Pineapples in the UK

and
the chap at the garden centre and some people here at urg said they
would not ripen because they would not get hot enough. I'm posting

say you were wrong!

I had two plants both in the green house, but I put one of them

under
plastic to give a double greenhouse effect.

Do you think you might boil some water for tea by say, an octuple
greenhouse effect? If so, you will be very rich very soon.

[snip]

Franz

Old 27-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Ben Blackmore

Is there another way of growing pineapple beyond cutting the crown off a

Old 27-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"Phil L" wrote after
Stephen Howard wrote:
:::
[...]

Don't need a greenhouse for cucumbers, try "Burp Tasty Green" outside up a
wire fence or trellis and then you have ***taste***, ours are cropping now.
Likewise Toms outside, trouble is you have to wait longer, until the summers
nearly over, to start cropping.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 28-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Ben Blackmore

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Don't need a greenhouse for cucumbers, try "Burp Tasty Green" outside up a
wire fence or trellis and then you have ***taste***, ours are cropping

now.
Likewise Toms outside, trouble is you have to wait longer, until the

summers
nearly over, to start cropping.

--
Regards
Bob
in Runnymede, 17miles west of London, UK

I'm still waiting for summer to start this year! Just seems to be one big
wet and warm spell at the moment

:-)

Old 28-07-2004, 12:06 PM
D Russell

fruit and planting it. I read an artical on growing them at gardenbed.com

wrote in message
[...]

Pineaple plants often send up small spurs of growth around the base, these
can be removed and grown on, it a bit like the Musa Basjoo, it sorts of
sends up suckers all year round and then once in a few years sends out
fruit. This may be what they were getting at.
Duncan

p.s. I have a 6 year old pineapple crown, in a plastic skinned double
greenhouse arrangement, it get's enormously hot, but with 100% humidity, it
never dries out, it gets well watered and is pampered all yera round, and it
wont bloody well fruit. I'm just jealous really.

Old 28-07-2004, 12:06 PM
D Russell

"David Hill" wrote in message
http://www.lofthouse.com/hobby/garden/pineapple.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Odd this, the best advice I ever got re. removing the top of the pineapple
was to simply twist the whole leafy stalk, it comes away with no fruit
attached everytime.
Duncan

My Pineapple Sage is Blooming!!! Mark Anderson Gardening 12 07-11-2003 09:42 PM
Eucomis Bicolor (Pineapple Lily) hhhouse Gardening 1 11-10-2003 11:42 PM
Pineapple James Mayer Edible Gardening 0 17-09-2003 01:42 AM
Pineapple? JNJ Gardening 15 12-04-2003 02:32 AM
Is pineapple a fruit? Ted Shoemaker Gardening 18 14-03-2003 09:56 PM