Old 27-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Uncle Charlie

Default Plants for chalky soil ? Any pointers ?

HI there, re-designing my garden.
The garden is on very chalky soil ( generous abouts of small flint ).
Any advice on chalk-soil loving plants which would add colour and life
to the garden. I am looking for the wild, natural, sprawling effects
with nice colours for the flowers / blossom. Area - South Bucks /
Chiltern Hills. Notorious for chalky and alkaline soil. The roses in
my garden are doing remarkably well ! And I also have a Yew tree which
is in excellent condition. But the main problem is the the garden is
uneven and has a steep bank which needs covering
Any advice would be most useful. I am looking to plant from now till
late Autumn and looking for results next spring/summer. Thanks for any
help !

Uncle Charlie
Old 27-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Uncle Charlie wrote:
HI there, re-designing my garden.
The garden is on very chalky soil ( generous abouts of small flint ).
Any advice on chalk-soil loving plants which would add colour and life
to the garden. I am looking for the wild, natural, sprawling effects
with nice colours for the flowers / blossom. Area - South Bucks /
Chiltern Hills. Notorious for chalky and alkaline soil. The roses in
my garden are doing remarkably well ! And I also have a Yew tree which
is in excellent condition. But the main problem is the the garden is
uneven and has a steep bank which needs covering
Any advice would be most useful. I am looking to plant from now till
late Autumn and looking for results next spring/summer. Thanks for any
help !

Bright colours are relatively tricky, but wild, natural, sprawling effects
aren't. Chalk lovers par excellence include prostrate junipers, thymes,
marjorams and so on. I would expect sage and rosemary to be happy, too,
as well as marjoram - and notice that all of them are useful, too! Many
clematis like those conditions, passion flowers are happy, and I suspect
that Helianthemum and Potentilla will be. Note that most of those I
have mentioned are also good ground cover for banks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Nick Maclaren

I forgot to mention hyssop - it has very attractive blue flowers,
but is less of a ground cover than most thymes. Winter savory
is also attractive, but not more so than thyme.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.