Old 29-07-2004, 09:38 AM
Andy Hunt

Default Harvesting sweetcorn

How can I tell when my sweetcorn are ready for picking?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Old 29-07-2004, 10:17 AM
David

Andy,
I find that when the ends of the silks on the cobs have withered
and died if you peel back the outer leaves carefully on the cob you can
examine the corn. Squeeze a couple of grains between your fingernails, the
liquid should be creamy for picking, if watery then you are too early! You
can also tell by examining the colour of the grains, they should be "golden
yellow" rather than whiteish yellow.
My own cobs are usually ready nearer October ( I live on the East Coast
of Scotland),

David

Old 29-07-2004, 12:16 PM
Andy Hunt

Andy,
I find that when the ends of the silks on the cobs have

withered
and died if you peel back the outer leaves carefully on the cob you can
examine the corn. Squeeze a couple of grains between your fingernails, the
liquid should be creamy for picking, if watery then you are too early! You
can also tell by examining the colour of the grains, they should be

"golden
yellow" rather than whiteish yellow.
My own cobs are usually ready nearer October ( I live on the East

Coast
of Scotland),

Thanks David. My sweetcorn plants didn't grow very high, but it's my first
year of growing veg, so I perhaps put them out when they were too small.

The ends of the silks have started to wither, so I'll use your technique and
have a look!!

Thanks again,

Andy

Old 29-07-2004, 05:17 PM
Bob Hobden

"Andy Hunt" wrote ...

[...]

The height they grow is dependant on variety, we use Xtra Sweet Improved
from Marshalls and they never grow very tall.

--
Regards
Bob