Old 30-07-2004, 11:32 AM
Neil Jones

Default Cherry varieties

I intend to plant a number of fruit trees this autumn and I've been
doing a bit of market research into cherries recently, trying to decide
which varieties to grow.

Stella is often mentioned as a good bet, so I was please to see some for
sale at Sainsbury's yesterday, which I duly bought. How disappointing.
There was virtually no flavour and the cherrys, although large and very
black in colour were far too soft for my liking.

They contrasted wildly to Colney which I got from Waitrose a couple of
weeks ago - again large and black, but firm and packed full of flavour.

Is this typical of Stella? If so I'll avoid and go for Colney with a
suitable pollination partner.

Regards

Neil

Old 30-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Doug.

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
[...]

***************
I grew a Stella for a few years . I don't remember it being a black one
though.
More like a pale pinky orange colour.
It wasn't a sweet eater and cropped badly. Mind you, - it was on its
tod among apples and pears.
They take a few years to get going you know. I have some plums here
which have been in eight years and they are doing only very slowly. One
of them has got one plum on it and the others about ten to fifteen,
whereas others - as usual do very well every year.
Doug.
***************

Old 30-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Neil Jones

"Doug." wrote ...

I grew a Stella for a few years . I don't remember it being a black

one
though.
More like a pale pinky orange colour.

TBH this was what I was expecting and I was surprised to see these
black'uns labelled as Stella. Maybe they were mislabelled or over ripe.

It wasn't a sweet eater and cropped badly. Mind you, - it was on its
tod among apples and pears.
They take a few years to get going you know. I have some plums here
which have been in eight years and they are doing only very slowly.

One
of them has got one plum on it and the others about ten to fifteen,
whereas others - as usual do very well every year.
Doug.

Yes, I'm expectng to have to wait for some results, but I'm in no hurry
and we don't expect to move from this house.

Many thanks

Neil