Old 21-09-2005, 06:39 PM
zxcvbob

Default Recommended varieties for a bush cherry?

My sour cherry tree died suddenly this summer. I'll probably replace it
with another, but I also have a spot in the back for some kind of bush
fruits. I'd love to grow boysenberries or Youngberries, but I'm in
Minnesota and I don't think *any* trailing blackberries are hardy up
here. I don't really like raspberries.

Are there any "bush cherries" that produce sour cherries that are meaty
enough to be worth pitting for a pie? I've heard that Nanking and
Hansen's are mostly pit and too small to use a cherry pitter.

Has anyone grown the Jan/Joy/Joel cultivars? Any good?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 21-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Cereus-validus.......

Jenna and Barbara!!!!

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushtwins/

Old 21-09-2005, 09:38 PM
zxcvbob

Cereus-validus....... wrote:

Jenna and Barbara!!!!

I don't know about "cherries", but I appreciate the joke. Thanks for
the laugh.

Best regards,
Bob
Old 21-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Cereus-validus.......

You are probably right.

Those two have been party girls far too long to be recommended for anything.
Who knows where they have been?

Old 21-09-2005, 11:16 PM

get kiwi, the arctic kind. where did you get your sour cherry from? if on dwarf
rootstock, what kind? it should be hardy. try ordering stuff from Jungs. they are
zone 4 hardy plants. Ingrid

zxcvbob wrote:

My sour cherry tree died suddenly this summer. I'll probably replace it
with another, but I also have a spot in the back for some kind of bush
fruits. I'd love to grow boysenberries or Youngberries, but I'm in
Minnesota and I don't think *any* trailing blackberries are hardy up
here. I don't really like raspberries.

Are there any "bush cherries" that produce sour cherries that are meaty
enough to be worth pitting for a pie? I've heard that Nanking and
Hansen's are mostly pit and too small to use a cherry pitter.

Has anyone grown the Jan/Joy/Joel cultivars? Any good?

Thanks,
Bob

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Old 22-09-2005, 03:40 AM

well currents do well in zone 5, how about blueberries? service berries are nice
bushy trees. these trees gotta be watered during droughts or they will die, also be
very careful about root stock. some of the roots are not really compatible.
Ingrid

zxcvbob wrote:

wrote:
get kiwi, the arctic kind. where did you get your sour cherry from? if on dwarf
rootstock, what kind? it should be hardy. try ordering stuff from Jungs. they are
zone 4 hardy plants. Ingrid

It was either "Meteor" or "Northstar", I don't remember which. I bought
it about 10 or 11 years ago at a local nursery and it did splendidly
here (zone 4) until it died suddenly this summer. I'll get another sour
cherry just like it, but I'm wondering what bush fruits would be good
here besides raspberries.

I had some jostaberries until I pulled them out a few years ago because
they only produced when the summer was unusually cool and damp. They
would probably do really well anywhere near the shore of Lake Superior
-- like maybe Duluth.

Best regards,
Bob

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

[IMG] code is On

cherry-plum bush Willi_9 Garden Photos 3 13-04-2017 12:49 PM
Surniam Cherry Bush - help! chaz Edible Gardening 1 10-10-2005 11:44 PM
Cherry varieties Neil Jones United Kingdom 4 30-07-2004 01:35 PM
Are South American Rose Bush Varieties Available in USA? Michael Melland Roses 1 10-06-2003 06:32 AM
Sand Cherry Bush slmader Gardening 0 03-06-2003 12:08 PM