Old 08-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Rodders

Default Advice re Laurels please

We have a rown of 3-year old Laurel bushes that we want to grow as high as
possible, as quickly as possible.

They're growing very well, but seem to grow "outwards" as well as "upwards".
Should I trim / prune them to promote upward growth??

Any advice would be most welcome please

Old 08-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Jack Murdoch

Hi - I have the opposite problem - how to keep them under control!

From my experience, by trimming the sides, all the 'growth energy' goes to
the fewer shoots that are left, and they do increase in height faster, but I
suppose it depends on the spread you require.

I'm in West of Scotland, acidic soil, and they seem to really flourish in
that. Not sure if adding acidity to the soil might help. But if 'Rodders' is
a contraction of Rhododendrum, that I assume you already have that!

Jack.

Old 08-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Rodders

Hi Jack
I'm not sure about the soil - I'm no expert gardener at all - I did plant
some Rhododenrons though and they prompty died on me!!
Cheers
Rod

"Jack Murdoch" wrote in message
Hi - I have the opposite problem - how to keep them under control!

From my experience, by trimming the sides, all the 'growth energy' goes to

Old 08-08-2004, 09:36 PM
nambucca

"Rodders" wrote in message
Hi Jack
I'm not sure about the soil - I'm no expert gardener at all - I did plant
some Rhododenrons though and they prompty died on me!!
Cheers
Rod

"Jack Murdoch" wrote in message
Hi - I have the opposite problem - how to keep them under control!

From my experience, by trimming the sides, all the 'growth energy' goes

"Rodders" wrote in message
We have a rown of 3-year old Laurel bushes that we want to grow as

high
as
possible, as quickly as possible.

They're growing very well, but seem to grow "outwards" as well as

"upwards".
Should I trim / prune them to promote upward growth??

Any advice would be most welcome please

If Rhodos died then you have Alkaline soil and hydrangeas will be pink

not blue

To get laurel to bush out and produce a good bush and therefore a good hedge
keep trimming back every new shoot with secateurs to just below the 2nd set
of leaves up from where it branched out from previously
Keep on doing this ........the laurel will grow just fine ,you will have a
thick hedge but not darn great thick trunks and the agro of getting a
chainsaw to it every few years

Old 08-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Rodders

"nambucca" wrote in message

To get laurel to bush out and produce a good bush and therefore a good

hedge
keep trimming back every new shoot with secateurs to just below the 2nd

set
of leaves up from where it branched out from previously
Keep on doing this ........the laurel will grow just fine ,you will have a
thick hedge but not darn great thick trunks and the agro of getting a
chainsaw to it every few years

Many thanks

Laurels Help please ..!!! Plowy United Kingdom 12 23-02-2013 10:23 AM
Who is Eating My Laurels? Mr Green United Kingdom 3 22-07-2004 06:18 PM
Advice on Laurels LongYP United Kingdom 4 21-04-2004 09:46 PM
pruning laurels chaz United Kingdom 3 10-07-2003 12:49 AM
Newbie Question-MT Laurels fgriff1 Gardening 6 24-06-2003 01:20 AM