Old 13-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Pepper plant help please

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 21:18:05 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message

snip
OK. That figures. So what is the mechanism for plants that fold

their
leaves at night, I wonder?

Can't help with that one.

simple ...
http://www-saps.plantsci.cam.ac.uk/records/rec117.htm
:-)

It sounds somewhat adcanced for school level, but maybe I'm behind the
times.
Nevertheless, it was a very interesting link.

Franz

Old 13-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Franz Heymann

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message

I doubt if any metabolites are involved in the transport of water

the leaves. Surely osmotic pressure is enough to do the job?

Osmotic pressure does the job of course to a certain extent and for

short
plants this is normally enough, but *water tension* is another major
factor*.

I have my doubts. I have never heard a convincing explanation of that
concept.
On the other hand, I know that sea water is rather more concentrated
than the sap in a plant, and I do remember that the osmotic pressure
of seawater is enough to raise a column of sea-water to a height of
more than 700 feet.

Old 14-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:58:48 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Tim Challenger" wrote in message

I doubt if any metabolites are involved in the transport of

water
the leaves. Surely osmotic pressure is enough to do the job?

Osmotic pressure does the job of course to a certain extent and

for
short
plants this is normally enough, but *water tension* is another

major
factor*.

I have my doubts. I have never heard a convincing explanation of

that
concept.
On the other hand, I know that sea water is rather more

concentrated
than the sap in a plant, and I do remember that the osmotic

pressure
of seawater

21.5 atmospheres
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/...-Equation.html

is enough to raise a column of sea-water to a height of
more than 700 feet.

688 feet?

I had the dead sea in mind. {:-))

Franz

Old 14-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 14:42:13 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

or even the IJsselmeer? My GPS gives interesting altitude values

when
I sail on the IJsselmeer.

I did the calculation using 32 feet of pure water = one atmosphere.

Wrong of course, I don't know how many feet of sea water = one
atmosphere.

What I am trying to say is that, as usual, you were right :-)

Thanks for the compliment, but we all know that that is wrong.
{:-((

Franz