Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Sacha

Default What is this plant ?

On 12/8/04 6:28 pm, in article ,
"Chris Rowe" wrote:

Iv'e just come back from Stapehill Gardens in Dorset and I saw a plant there
that Iv'e never seen before.

Nobody there could help so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to,I'm
afraid there's no photo so I'll describe it as best I can.

About 2ft tall,exotic looking with bronze shiny fatsia shaped leaves but
nothing like as big,small white flowers and
round(seedheads/fruit,maybe),spikey looking but rubbery to touch 1inch
diameter balls bronzy/green in colour

Iv'e googled but found nothing,I do hope someone can help as I think it's
gorgeous

TIA Chris

Ricinus communis? Very poisonous. Try a Google image search to see if
that's the one.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-08-2004, 07:41 PM
shazzbat

"Chris Rowe" wrote in message
Iv'e just come back from Stapehill Gardens in Dorset

It's good isn't it? we only live a couple of minutes away, and we always try
to take visitors there.

Steve

Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:28:21 GMT, "Chris Rowe"
wrote:

Iv'e just come back from Stapehill Gardens in Dorset and I saw a plant there
that Iv'e never seen before.

Nobody there could help so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to,I'm
afraid there's no photo so I'll describe it as best I can.

About 2ft tall,exotic looking with bronze shiny fatsia shaped leaves but
nothing like as big,small white flowers and
round(seedheads/fruit,maybe),spikey looking but rubbery to touch 1inch
diameter balls bronzy/green in colour

Iv'e googled but found nothing,I do hope someone can help as I think it's
gorgeous

TIA Chris

I agree with Sacha. That was my first thought but ricinus leaves can
be as big as fatsia and it can get to 4 or 5 feet tall. It's what the
poison ricin is made from.

Pam in Bristol
Old 12-08-2004, 11:47 PM
suspicious minds

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 12/8/04 6:28 pm, in article ,
"Chris Rowe" wrote:

Iv'e just come back from Stapehill Gardens in Dorset and I saw a plant

there
that Iv'e never seen before.

Nobody there could help so I'm hoping that someone here might be able

to,I'm
afraid there's no photo so I'll describe it as best I can.

About 2ft tall,exotic looking with bronze shiny fatsia shaped leaves

but
nothing like as big,small white flowers and
round(seedheads/fruit,maybe),spikey looking but rubbery to touch 1inch
diameter balls bronzy/green in colour

Iv'e googled but found nothing,I do hope someone can help as I think

it's
gorgeous

TIA Chris

Ricinus communis? Very poisonous. Try a Google image search to see if
that's the one.

The first 5 letters of the plant's name tells you what the toxin is. Anti
Terrorist Squad officers are just about to raid Stapehill Gardens in Dorset
and the press are going to have a field day saying "Traces of R**** have
been found there etc ...... If that doesn't make you sick, the castor oil
will ; )

Old 13-08-2004, 06:47 AM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

[...]

And it is also the source of castor oil, which I and my brothers
received each Friday night as children in order to purge our bodies.
Our souls were purged with a strap during the same session.

Franz

Old 13-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Sacha

On 12/8/04 23:47, in article ,
"suspicious minds" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip

Ricinus communis? Very poisonous. Try a Google image search to see if
that's the one.

The first 5 letters of the plant's name tells you what the toxin is. Anti
Terrorist Squad officers are just about to raid Stapehill Gardens in Dorset
and the press are going to have a field day saying "Traces of R**** have
been found there etc ...... If that doesn't make you sick, the castor oil
will ; )

Hate to break it to you but it's a feature of municipal planting all over
the place. There's some in a roundabout in Totnes right now!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-08-2004, 10:30 AM
BAC

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 12/8/04 23:47, in article ,
"suspicious minds" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip

Ricinus communis? Very poisonous. Try a Google image search to see if
that's the one.

The first 5 letters of the plant's name tells you what the toxin is.

Anti
Terrorist Squad officers are just about to raid Stapehill Gardens in

Dorset
and the press are going to have a field day saying "Traces of R**** have
been found there etc ...... If that doesn't make you sick, the castor

oil
will ; )

Hate to break it to you but it's a feature of municipal planting all over
the place. There's some in a roundabout in Totnes right now!

A couple of years ago, I noticed a specimen growing in the grounds of a
building (adjacent a demolished greenhouse, formerly part of a Victorian
park) which was being converted into a day nursery.

Old 13-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Pam Moore
writes
I agree with Sacha. That was my first thought but ricinus leaves can
be as big as fatsia and it can get to 4 or 5 feet tall. It's what the
poison ricin is made from.

I was browsing the Chiltern catalog last night, and saw that they sell a
variety ("Zanzi Palm") that reaches 12 feet.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-08-2004, 11:41 AM
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote

snip
I dunno how, then, because the govt banned the sale of ricinus seeds a
year or so back, as part of their anti-terrorist protection of the
public.
Janet.

Several UK suppliers are selling the seeds............
http://www.edirectory.co.uk/chiltern...=GXGenusNameXR
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/page12.htm
http://www.seeds-by-size.co.uk/mfl-9-98.htm

Jenny

Old 14-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 12/8/04 23:47, in article

,
"suspicious minds" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...

snip

[...]

Perhaps Totnes Council had the presence of mind to save its own seeds?

Franz

Old 14-08-2004, 07:24 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote

in
message ...

the govt banned the sale of ricinus

seeds a
year or so back, as part of their anti-terrorist protection of

the
public.

Perhaps Totnes Council had the presence of mind to save its own

seeds?

Perhaps Totnes Council is a front for a terrorist supply depot?

That would make me feel safe against a planned terrorist attack

Franz

Old 15-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
k...
On 13/8/04 20:14, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough.." wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

snip
Hate to break it to you but it's a feature of municipal planting all

over
the place. There's some in a roundabout in Totnes right now!

I dunno how, then, because the govt banned the sale of ricinus seeds a
year or so back, as part of their anti-terrorist protection of the
public.

That's interesting. I'll check again next time I drive past but I'm 99.9%
sure I'm right. If I am, I might just ask the council how they came by
them. ;-) Of course, the answer to this might be that the council
nurseries have their own collected seed supply but are neither buying nor
selling them. I wonder when the government is going to ban us from buying
fertiliser and sugar. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Still using them down here too, so bearing this thread in mind I asked at a
thing I was doing down in Penzance yesterday, and the Parks people showed me
the seed catalogue they use complete with the castor oil plants in several
different types! in fact their boss was convinced that the law had never
been passed that they had only said they were going too. Sort of had a
familiar ring to it :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk