Old 14-08-2004, 06:12 PM
kathleen syson

Default anthill removal?

We have just found a large mound of what looked like discarded seed under
our bird seed feeders. On closer examination with a stick, the seeds are
covering a huge anthill/nest.

Can anyone suggest the best way of killing this little lot off/removing
them - if we try to dig to remove, presumably the ants will swarm and nip.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kathie S

Old 14-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Tumbleweed

"kathleen syson" wrote in message
We have just found a large mound of what looked like discarded seed under
our bird seed feeders. On closer examination with a stick, the seeds are
covering a huge anthill/nest.

Can anyone suggest the best way of killing this little lot off/removing
them - if we try to dig to remove, presumably the ants will swarm and nip.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kathie S

Just brush the soil off and teh birs will help get rid of quitea few.
Getting rid of them in a lawn is difficult , though one thing you can try is
continually flooding the area, ants dont scuba dive.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 14-08-2004, 08:28 PM
kathleen syson

Thanks Tumbleweed.

Probably misled you somewhat in my previous message. I don't have a lawn.
Garden is mainly cultivated for veg; but we left the area around the bird
table and feeders alone; and as the birds drop vast amounts of seeds
various, the ground beneath the feeders has turned into a real wildflower
garden with poppies, sunflowers, various types of corn etc. Will certainly
try your suggestions though. I never thought of using the ants as bird
food.

Thanks

Kathie S

Old 15-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Tumbleweed

"kathleen syson" wrote in message
Thanks Tumbleweed.

Probably misled you somewhat in my previous message. I don't have a lawn.
Garden is mainly cultivated for veg; but we left the area around the bird
table and feeders alone; and as the birds drop vast amounts of seeds
various, the ground beneath the feeders has turned into a real wildflower
garden with poppies, sunflowers, various types of corn etc. Will

certainly
try your suggestions though. I never thought of using the ants as bird
food.

Thanks

Kathie S

You could still soak it frequently. A few days of continuous severe soaking
wil get rid of the ants to a very large degree and wouldt do the plants any
harm. However, IME the ants soon come back again. But if its not a lawn I
can see no good reason to spend a lot of effort on it, just brush the
anthill soil away and let the birds at them.

Old 15-08-2004, 10:48 AM
mich

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message

"kathleen syson" wrote in message
We have just found a large mound of what looked like discarded seed

under
our bird seed feeders. On closer examination with a stick, the seeds

are
covering a huge anthill/nest.

Can anyone suggest the best way of killing this little lot off/removing
them - if we try to dig to remove, presumably the ants will swarm and

nip.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Kathie S

Just brush the soil off and teh birs will help get rid of quitea few.
Getting rid of them in a lawn is difficult , though one thing you can try

is
continually flooding the area, ants dont scuba dive.

Quite similar but I add jayes fluid . I like to clean and disinfect the soil
on such occassions g

I find boiling a kettle and pouring the hot water out on the patch helps
too. The birds will re seed the patch for you afterwards.

Old 15-08-2004, 01:43 PM
kathleen syson

Excellent additional idea that! I have an almost new Jeyes in the shed.
Will scuttle out forthwith and de-house the little blighters. Thanks Mich.