Old 17-08-2004, 02:25 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default At last!

After 19 years from seed my Catalpa has finally got around to flowering!
Seems to be only flowering on the bits I have not hacked back so I guess I
will have to go easy on the pruning. And sadly the whole thing is looking a
mess because of the gales back in late June. But at least its started :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from "Charlie Pridham" contains these words:

After 19 years from seed my Catalpa has finally got around to flowering!
Seems to be only flowering on the bits I have not hacked back so I guess I
will have to go easy on the pruning. And sadly the whole thing is looking a
mess because of the gales back in late June. But at least its started :~)

That's wonderful Charlie, you must be so thrilled. Sorry to hear about
the storm damage though.
Jennifer and Edward
Old 18-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Rod

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:25:14 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

After 19 years from seed my Catalpa has finally got around to flowering!
Seems to be only flowering on the bits I have not hacked back so I guess I
will have to go easy on the pruning. And sadly the whole thing is looking a
mess because of the gales back in late June. But at least its started :~)

Yes they are very brittle and they also develop heavy limbs - I
sometimes do a bit of thinning and remove anything that looks likely
to grow too heavy. I think ours took about that long, it's now 29
years and hasn't missed a year since it started flowering. Well worth
the wait and the perfume pervades the whole of the walled garden.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.