Old 26-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Jeanne Stockdale

Default Crab Apples

Last year I made some wonderful crab apple jelly and am aiming to do the
same again this year.

Trouble is hubby and I cannot agree on whether or not the apples are ready
to pick. They are very red and I am convinced they are ready. However hubby
says that because they are difficult to pick (ie they are not literally
falling off the tree), they are not ready

So who is right - when are they ready to pick

Thanks

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 26-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Victoria Clare

" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in
:

Last year I made some wonderful crab apple jelly and am aiming to do
the same again this year.

Trouble is hubby and I cannot agree on whether or not the apples are
ready to pick. They are very red and I am convinced they are ready.
However hubby says that because they are difficult to pick (ie they
are not literally falling off the tree), they are not ready

So who is right - when are they ready to pick

Depends how tart you like your jelly. For cooking purposes, apples are
ready to cook as soon as they are big enough. If you like them sharp,
cook them early: if you like them sweet: later.

There are a lot of wasps about this year and the weather has been a bit
wild too: don't leave it too long or you will end up picking up windfalls.

I don't have a crabapple, but my early eater apples are mostly et now, and
the late eater apples are still a little tart, but nice.

The cooker still has a little way to go, but mostly only because it takes
less time to peel 4 fat apples than 6 skinny ones.

I had a party a week or so ago, and one of the participants brought with
them two bags of supermarket Braeburns from New Zealand! Honestly! No
doubt they'd been sitting in a cold store for months.

I think I shall have to compost them. They don't even make good crumble.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 26-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . 150,
Victoria Clare writes:

| I had a party a week or so ago, and one of the participants brought with
| them two bags of supermarket Braeburns from New Zealand! Honestly! No
| doubt they'd been sitting in a cold store for months.
|
| I think I shall have to compost them. They don't even make good crumble.

In California, they are typically the BEST of the apples available
in a supermarket.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Emrys Davies

'Jeanne',

If you shake an apple and you can hear its pips rattle it is ripe.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 27-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Emrys Davies wrote:

If you shake an apple and you can hear its pips rattle it is ripe.

Er, no. That is one of the characteristics of a pippin. It does
not work for all other apples.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-08-2004, 12:11 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article , Emrys Davies wrote:

If you shake an apple and you can hear its pips rattle it is ripe.

Er, no. That is one of the characteristics of a pippin. It does
not work for all other apples.

I thought 'pippin' indicated that it had originated as a seedling, in
which case there's no reason why all pippins should share that
characteristic. Does it work for Allington's Pippin, for example?
--
Kay

Old 27-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay writes:

| If you shake an apple and you can hear its pips rattle it is ripe.
|
| Er, no. That is one of the characteristics of a pippin. It does
| not work for all other apples.
|
| I thought 'pippin' indicated that it had originated as a seedling, in
| which case there's no reason why all pippins should share that
| characteristic. Does it work for Allington's Pippin, for example?

Dunno. It may well have got that association because it applies
to Cox's Orange Pippin, but it also applies to some apples that
aren't normally called pippins. Note that the term 'pippin' is
much less well-defined than you imply. I can't remember where I
saw that association, but it was somewhere fairly reliable, though
it could well have been an aberration.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

flowering royalty crab tree 00summit600 Gardening 0 03-06-2003 10:56 PM
[IBC] Siberian Crab Dylan Blew Bonsai 1 30-05-2003 04:32 PM
Flowering Crab Tree Bob Helman Gardening 0 29-05-2003 05:20 AM
Crab Apple Tree - Stunting Fruit Growth Heather Gardening 3 15-04-2003 02:44 PM
crab grass and milky spore thoranw Gardening 2 28-03-2003 11:20 PM