Old 01-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Pam Moore

Default Hazel

Can anyone please enlarge and explain this snippet from the Telegraph
gardening supplement, Sat last.
*** "Brut" (fracture but not quite sever) the laterals of any hazels
being grown for their nuts. ***
I have a 3 yr-old self-seed (or squirrel-sown) on my allotment.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Emrys Davies

'Pam',

The snippet is reproduced on this site.

http://tinyurl.com/6f762

It means the stopping in late summer of strong laterals, 30cm or 12" or
more in length, halfway along by snapping them without completely
breaking them off and leave them hanging down.

This encourages fruit buds to form and reduces vigour.

This information is from the RHS Fruit and Vegetable Gardening - page
203- under Cobnuts and Silberts.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:01 PM