Old 11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
La puce

Mike Lyle wrote:
Chloride? Sulphate? Ever keen to learn, so whence? I really can't, in
any case, see how ordinary gardening operations with a trowel or
little hand-fork could make the slightest difference -- or even with
digging spade and fork, though surely bronze wouldn't be the most
practical material for these bigger tools? To have an effect on
snails, I'd guess the soil would have to be seriously contaminated,
and we don't want that.

Sure. I'm no scientist, but one would imagine the salt residues would
be really minute, but still could contribute to repel any mollusc
venturing on the ground after a copper space/hand fork whatever copper
tool has been used there and not damage the soil. My copper rings works
like this. I did put a slug on it the first time I had it and the poor
creeture curled up in agony. In my world it's either that or the bucket
of salted water. I do use beer trap, but the cats keep drinking the
stuff. You've got a point with the bronze tools - but I wouldn't call
that progress g

Old 11-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Geoff

It's illegal to hunt with dogs but my springer Monty has not heard about it
and he's a great snail hunter. Trouble is, he cracks their shells then
brings all he finds indoors if he gets a chance!! But winter's on its way.

Geoff

Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 PM
La puce

Geoff wrote:
It's illegal to hunt with dogs but my springer Monty has not heard about it
and he's a great snail hunter. Trouble is, he cracks their shells then
brings all he finds indoors if he gets a chance!! But winter's on its way.

How simply disgusting ... A friend's dog get them from the walls. I
wish my two dogs did something in the garden I could at least
appreciate! All they do is sniff, scratch, graze, munch and lounge
deep sigh

As for winter being on its way, don't know where you leave but Greater
Manc is in some warm sticky weird weather atm. I would actually call
this summer! Not good at all. I've got a new collection of alliums
(some hairy ones too). I haven't put them in yet. Far too mild.

But I'm not complaining too much )