Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Sacha

On 9/9/04 19:16, in article , "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

You appear to be someone who likes to argue for the sake of arguing,
and I'm really not interested in that nonsense.

Far from it but I am not going let someone make stupid and unfounded remarks
such as you have done without them being challenged. Your suggesteed course
of action is typical of the paranoia over what is a minor incident tht
nobody with any common sense would dream of litigating. My original reply
was a suggestion of a commonsense solution. You on the other hand think it
is approriate to run to lawyers at the slightest excuse.

Your first reply was a flat statement of fact for which you hold no apparent
qualifications. You wrote:

"The stamp manufacturer or supplier have no liability to him. The flower
show organisers may do but it will be very small. At most he is entitled to
value of his second-hand shirt which unless it is something quite
exceptional will be no more than £10 and probably much less. He is not
entitled to a new replacement."

You are irresponsible. You do NOT know this because you do not know the full
circumstances. If you do, tell us how you know it.
Your knowledge of the law in these matters is self-taught, self-limited and
totally unreliable, or so it would seem. It is not definitive of the many
parameters that can surround a legal issue nor is it reliable and is
therefore, dangerous to anyone looking for help in the wrong place, such as
this group.

You are *precisely* what the OP should avoid and without knowing you or
having read any of your posts that I am aware of, are one of those types I
had in mind when I posted my first response in this thread.

I have suggested seeking advice only. If you are unaware of that because
you do not read carefully, then you are not a good person from whom to seek
advice. If there is any commonsense in your answer above, I am unable to
see it because you are talking from a position of ignorance.

If you are not, post your legal qualifications and the name of the legal
firm for whom you work and of course, your area of legal expertise. If it
is, for example, conveyancing, you might not be the best person to help.
Assuming you're a lawyer, of course.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

A lot that I agree with.

I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Kate Morgan

I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.

I have had some bargains on e.bay, have a look you never know what you
will find :-)

kate

Old 09-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kate Morgan wrote:

I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.

I have had some bargains on e.bay, have a look you never know what you
will find :-)

Well, excluding the time to do that and the connexion costs (small),
you have to allow for the probability of being sold a pup. At a
wild guess, I would estimate that 50% of items sold that way are
unsatisfactory, so I would halve the price I was prepared to pay :-)

But think about it. If you said to someone complaining about a
damaged shirt "I will give you a fiver, because you can get one
second-hand on Ebay for that", what are the chances of them taking
offence?

Not merely will that make them more likely to pursue legal action,
if a judge agrees that the offer is offensive, any "without
prejudice" becomes void. That is why I said that the WORST thing
was to make the person an insulting offer, such as a fiver (at
least without checking the shirt).

Now, if I were wearing my gardening clothes, not merely would an
offer of a quid be excessive, I almost certainly wouldn't notice
a bit of ink :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:20 AM
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Sacha wrote:

A lot that I agree with.

I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.

LIDL sold shirts the week before last for £4.99 each. Well, you did ask!

Old 10-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
| fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
| If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
| buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.
|
| LIDL sold shirts the week before last for £4.99 each. Well, you did ask!

(a) What's LIDL?

(b) DECENT shirts? Or pink plastic things? See my previous
qualifications.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:02 AM
BAC

"BAC" writes:

| I am still waiting to be told where I can buy decent shirts (that
| fit me, natch) new for a tenner or very slightly worn for a fiver.
| If anyone were to provide that information, I would definitely
| buy half a dozen. Oh, that includes travel costs, of course.
|
| LIDL sold shirts the week before last for £4.99 each. Well, you did

ask!

(a) What's LIDL?

It's a retail chain. Very cheap. Probably illegal in Cambridge.

(b) DECENT shirts? Or pink plastic things? See my previous
qualifications.

No plastic, 100% cotton, denim type things, great for gardening (I imagine).

Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| (a) What's LIDL?
|
| It's a retail chain. Very cheap. Probably illegal in Cambridge.

Probably - it's getting harder and harder to buy anything useful
here.

| (b) DECENT shirts? Or pink plastic things? See my previous
| qualifications.
|
| No plastic, 100% cotton, denim type things, great for gardening (I imagine).

Ah. Thanks. I am visiting in October, and will take a look if I
bump into a LIDL.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Peter Crosland

Your first reply was a flat statement of fact for which you hold no
apparent qualifications. You wrote:

"The stamp manufacturer or supplier have no liability to him. The
flower show organisers may do but it will be very small. At most he
is entitled to value of his second-hand shirt which unless it is
something quite exceptional will be no more than £10 and probably
much less. He is not entitled to a new replacement."

The reply is a common sense one that is both accurate and appropriate. Yours
have simply shown a remarkable degree of stupidity and simply become a
series of personal attacks based on fantasy and you inability to read plain
English and comprehend it. Why should anyone consider your advice any better
than that given by others? Your own words show just amply illustrate your
hypocrisy and bigiotry, not to mention your contempt for anyone who
disagrees with you.

Old 10-09-2004, 09:25 AM
David Hill

It looks as if this has turned into almost a private -very off topic- debate
which shouldn't be on this group.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries