Old 25-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Registered User

Default Hardy climbers/chuck over fence and hope

Hi I'm new on here and this might not even be possible but I have a longstanding empty house at the back of my garden and the garden is very overgrown. I was wondering if there were specific types of climbing plant/flower seeds I could chuck over the fence (preferably colourful) that would fight their way up through the bracken and make it look pretty.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 25-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Franz Heymann

"esthomizzy" wrote in
message ...

Hi I'm new on here and this might not even be possible but I have a
longstanding empty house at the back of my garden and the garden is
very overgrown. I was wondering if there were specific types of
climbing plant/flower seeds I could chuck over the fence (preferably
colourful) that would fight their way up through the bracken and

make
it look pretty.

Not to mince words, no.

Franz

Old 25-11-2004, 04:44 PM
Nick Gray

"esthomizzy" wrote in message

Hi I'm new on here and this might not even be possible but I have a
longstanding empty house at the back of my garden and the garden is
very overgrown. I was wondering if there were specific types of
climbing plant/flower seeds I could chuck over the fence (preferably
colourful) that would fight their way up through the bracken and make
it look pretty.

Thanks for any advice.

How about a half hardy annual climber?

Ipomoea (Morning Glory) - chuck over the fence in May.

See sutton seeds website for varieties and colours:

http://www.suttons.co.uk/index2.html...10&d=300&e= 0

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 25-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Gray wrote:
"esthomizzy" wrote in
message ...

Hi I'm new on here and this might not even be possible but I have

longstanding empty house at the back of my garden and the garden

is
very overgrown. I was wondering if there were specific types of
climbing plant/flower seeds I could chuck over the fence

(preferably
colourful) that would fight their way up through the bracken and

make
it look pretty.

Thanks for any advice.

How about a half hardy annual climber?

Ipomoea (Morning Glory) - chuck over the fence in May.

See sutton seeds website for varieties and colours:

http://www.suttons.co.uk/index2.html...10&d=300&e= 0

Could be a waste of money: not everybody has luck with them, and just
chucking them over the fence will merely give an LSD-like experience
to half a dozen of the local wildlife. (Wouldn't even be worth the
money just to see tripping rats.)

If there's bracken in there, it would be good to get in and try to
clear it before it gets into _your_ garden. Interesting plant: it's
possible that a single plant may cover an acre or more. Repeated
treatments with glyphosate when the fronds are growing well should
knock it out in the end, I imagine.

I'd sow some Everlasting Peas in individual pots, and plant them out
properly. It's like a scentless sweet pea, but perennial; very
vigorous. But you really do need to subdue the bracken first. Perhaps
you could pop over around now and fork out as much of the bracken
rhizome as you can in a two-three-foot strip under the fence. The
loosening of the soil will make it easier to pull out any growths
which later come up from broken-off bits that get left behind, and
the winter will prepare it for your Everlasting Peas or whatever you
choose. If you have to re-treat the bracken after planting out the
peas, just cover the peas with plastic first.

Mike.

Old 26-11-2004, 01:32 AM
Registered User

Thanks both

I'm not sure it is bracken actually a tangled mess of roots and leaves and thorns with some dead virginia creeper thrown in for good measure. My fence is quite tall and up against a small wall which is up against the remains of the fence of the property at the back. If I was able to make it into the garden I'm not sure I'd be able to make it back again without a stepladder and also I'd be trespassing not to mention the fact that we are in the middle of back to back terraces so the only way in apart from over the fence is via their front door. It's no biggy really it doesn't upset me too much that it's a bit messy I just thought I might be able to benefit from something in their garden. I'll give the Ipomoea a go if it comes to nothing I've not lost anything but a few quid.

Old 26-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Franz Heymann

"esthomizzy" wrote in
message ...

[...]

A few 1" pieces of Japanese Knotweed root thrown as hard as you can
over the fence should spice things up a bit. {:-))

Franz

Old 26-11-2004, 04:20 PM
Nick Gray

[...]

I've also just thought, that you could try chucking over some Nasturtium
(Tropaeolum majus) in March - May. Yellow, orange and red coloured flowers
(amonst others). They are pretty vigorous and should self seed quite freely.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 26-11-2004, 04:23 PM
JennyC

[...]

esthomizzy

Ummmmmm - why not plant on your side of the fence ??

Suggestions at:
http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/climbers.htm
http://www.findspot.com/climbing-plant.htm

Jenny

Old 26-11-2004, 04:46 PM
JennyC

"JennyC" wrote
"esthomizzy" wrote

[...]

PS nice pictures of climbers at: http://www.plantsman.com/pics/pictures00.html
jenny

Old 26-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Gray wrote:
[...]

I really deprecate this "chuck them over" policy. It just isn't going
to work any more than "chuck it and chance it" will catch you a creel
of trout.

Mike.

Old 27-11-2004, 11:03 AM
Nick Gray

I've also just thought, that you could try chucking over some
Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) in March - May. Yellow, orange and

red
coloured flowers (amonst others). They are pretty vigorous and

should
self seed quite freely.

I really deprecate this "chuck them over" policy. It just isn't going
to work any more than "chuck it and chance it" will catch you a creel
of trout.

I beg to differ. How do the seeds of your plants get from the flower heads
to the soil? Mine fall, and wouldn't know the difference between falling
from a hand and falling from a seed pod.

Cheers

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 27-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Nick Gray wrote:

I've also just thought, that you could try chucking over some
Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) in March - May. Yellow, orange and

red
coloured flowers (amonst others). They are pretty vigorous and

should
self seed quite freely.

I really deprecate this "chuck them over" policy. It just isn't going
to work any more than "chuck it and chance it" will catch you a creel
of trout.

I beg to differ. How do the seeds of your plants get from the flower heads
to the soil? Mine fall, and wouldn't know the difference between falling
from a hand and falling from a seed pod.

And the reason that plants produce so many seeds is because so few
grow to reach flowering stage. If you sow something tough and
adapted to the conditions (like nettle or goosefoot), it will very
probably grow. But the same does not apply to most decorative
flowers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-11-2004, 04:56 PM
Kay

In article , Nick
Gray writes

I've also just thought, that you could try chucking over some
Nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus) in March - May. Yellow, orange and

red
coloured flowers (amonst others). They are pretty vigorous and

should
self seed quite freely.

I really deprecate this "chuck them over" policy. It just isn't going
to work any more than "chuck it and chance it" will catch you a creel
of trout.

I beg to differ. How do the seeds of your plants get from the flower heads
to the soil? Mine fall, and wouldn't know the difference between falling
from a hand and falling from a seed pod.

That's the difference. Yours fall to the soil, where they have a chance
of growing. These seeds will be falling in to a mass of established
perennials where they will lose out in the competition for light.
--
Kay

Old 28-11-2004, 11:53 AM
David Hill

If you are going to try this chuck it over idea, then I would start some
seeds in 4inch pots of soil (Not a light compost), and then when they have a
good root system, cut them back and on a good wet day throw then over
(without their pots), then given some luck and a few damp days the roots may
get into the soil.
At least this way there is les chance of you just feeding the mice.

Old 28-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Mike Lyle

David Hill wrote:
If you are going to try this chuck it over idea, then I would start
some seeds in 4inch pots of soil (Not a light compost), and then

when
they have a good root system, cut them back and on a good wet day
throw then over (without their pots), then given some luck and a

few
damp days the roots may get into the soil.
At least this way there is les chance of you just feeding the mice.

Sound thinking.

Mike.