Old 29-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Kate Morgan

Default bad omen ?

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

kate
Old 29-09-2004, 05:41 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
. ..

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

Got no holly but my hawthorn is smothered with berries. Better check yer
thermals for moths cos Jack Frost is on his way. Brrrr

Old 29-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote after
"Kate wrote
All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

Got no holly but my hawthorn is smothered with berries. Better check yer
thermals for moths cos Jack Frost is on his way. Brrrr

We noticed all the holly trees at Kew were well covered with berries this
year and looking at the hedgerows it seems to be true everywhere, drove past
one yesterday that was bright red all along it's length with berries. Always
considered a sign of a hard winter but somehow I doubt it considering what
they have been like recently.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
ex WGS Hamm wrote:

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

Got no holly but my hawthorn is smothered with berries. Better check yer
thermals for moths cos Jack Frost is on his way. Brrrr

Yes, it's bad news indeed. As the old saying goes:

When the bushes hang with berry,
Then the Bushes will beat Kerry.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2004, 12:01 PM
Magwitch

Kate Morgan muttered:

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

kate

Hmmm... I'm old enough to remember winter '62-63 though and I can't say I
remember the autumn '62 being exceptional for berries. I think that last
summer's heat and this summer's rain has been good for hollies, rowans,
hawthorns and, most especially, rose hips, the dog roses were exceptional
this year in our part of the world.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:08 AM
BAC

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Kate Morgan muttered:

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

kate

Hmmm... I'm old enough to remember winter '62-63 though and I can't say I
remember the autumn '62 being exceptional for berries. I think that last
summer's heat and this summer's rain has been good for hollies, rowans,
hawthorns and, most especially, rose hips, the dog roses were exceptional
this year in our part of the world.

Yes, I can't help but feel that a good crop now is due to particularly
suitable conditions in the past, not anticipation of particularly cold ones
in the near future. Unless, of course, the weather pattern which gives rise
to particularly favourable berry conditions includes, as a matter of course,
a 'bad' winter.

If we now have a bad winter, everyone will say 'the berries were right', or
words to that effect, if we don't, it will be quietly forgotten - until the
next time.

Whatever the reason, it does seem to be an exceptional year for berries.
Should be a bumper year for elderberry wine :-)

Old 01-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Magwitch contains these words:
Kate Morgan muttered:

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

kate

Hmmm... I'm old enough to remember winter '62-63 though and I can't say I
remember the autumn '62 being exceptional for berries. I think that last
summer's heat and this summer's rain has been good for hollies, rowans,
hawthorns and, most especially, rose hips, the dog roses were exceptional
this year in our part of the world.

Nurse!

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

Is it time for my Horlicks yet?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 01-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Kate Morgan

snip
Nurse!

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

Me too :-)))

kate
Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"BAC" wrote in message

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Kate Morgan muttered:

[...]

My gosh you lot. Have you not heard the ancient ditty?

" when ye bushes hang heavy with plentiful berry
and birds and jam makers eat lots and get merry,
beware if the furglers grow fat and plump
mind where you tread and get ready to jumpe,
when the howls of the mangletrotter sound loud on yon hill,
get ye olde thermalles from ye closet cos here comes a chille".
I *always* abide by it.

Old 01-10-2004, 07:47 PM
BAC

"ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Kate Morgan muttered:

[...]

Was that by Rambling Sid Rumpole (or whatever the character's name was in
Round the Horn)?

Old 01-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Hmmm... I'm old enough to remember winter '62-63 though and I can't say I
remember the autumn '62 being exceptional for berries. I think that last
summer's heat and this summer's rain has been good for hollies, rowans,
hawthorns and, most especially, rose hips, the dog roses were exceptional
this year in our part of the world.

Nurse!

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

I can remember the winter of 1944/45

Is it time for my Horlicks yet?

ditto

Ah well, if we're trading winters, I can remember that one, too. We went
for Christmas to my very, very shortly to be stepfather's home in
Snorbans, and the milk froze, forcing cylinders of cream out of the
tops.

As a treat, I was given 'ice-cream' on a saucer, but I thought it was
too cold, and tried to warm it up in front of the fire...

Old 01-10-2004, 08:37 PM
Jennifer Sparkes

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

Nurse!

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

So am I. (((((

Is it time for my Horlicks yet?

Do you *really* think it would help ... ?

Jennifer
Old 01-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:

Ah well, if we're trading winters, I can remember that one, too. We went
for Christmas to my very, very shortly to be stepfather's home in
Snorbans, and the milk froze, forcing cylinders of cream out of the
tops.

Eh? It did that MOST winters in Cambridge, at least once, up to
a decade back!

As a treat, I was given 'ice-cream' on a saucer, but I thought it was
too cold, and tried to warm it up in front of the fire...

Yes. I made that in 62/63 - INSIDE my bedroom!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in
message k...
The message
from Magwitch contains these words:
Kate Morgan muttered:

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many

more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

kate

Hmmm... I'm old enough to remember winter '62-63 though and I

can't say I
remember the autumn '62 being exceptional for berries. I think

that last
summer's heat and this summer's rain has been good for hollies,

rowans,
hawthorns and, most especially, rose hips, the dog roses were

exceptional
this year in our part of the world.

Nurse!

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

Is it time for my Horlicks yet?

It was in the middle of that winter that I emigrated from Cape Town to
Manchester. Sometimes I'm surprised that I decided to stay in
England.

Franz

Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

Is it time for my Horlicks yet?

It was in the middle of that winter that I emigrated from Cape Town to
Manchester. Sometimes I'm surprised that I decided to stay in
England.

Ah, but it was so pretty! My ole man molished an igloo for me - his
excuse in later years was that since the snow wouldn't melt there was no
point in shovelling it into heaps.

And I woke on the last day in April to see snow capping the almond tree
outside my bedroom window. The almost black bark, the pink blossom and
the capping of snow was magic - just like a Chinese painting.

The winter had put back the flowering *VERY* late...