Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered User

Question How to Hide a Shed?

Hi
I've just moved into our new house and for the first time ever I have a garden. Which is nice.
The garden is about 70 feet long and 30 feet wide, faces west (so gets the sun from around 11 right through to sunset) and is mainly grass at the moment. The lawn gets quite waterlogged due to a stream that runs along the bottom of the garden.
The previous owner erected the mother of all sheds and whilst I can admire it as an architectural marvel to rival the new Wembley stadium it does look a little 'brutal'. I am keen to soften the edges of the shed (which is roughly 12' x 8') and have already put up some trellis which I intend to use to train some sort of climbing plant up. And therein lies my problem. I know next to nothing about plants or gardening and would therefore really appreciate some advice.
Can anyone suggest a good mixture of climbing plants and or border shrubs (I think I've got those terms correct??) that will offer the following

1. Will soften the look of the shed.
2. Will provide year round colour/interest.
3. Will be fragrant?
4. Will attract insects/wildlife.
5. Will be colourful (I like colour!!)

Any suggestions/advice gratefully received

Cheers

Paul (A newbie with a lot of grass to fill)