Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these

words:

Before you attach anything I want to warn you. If the shed is
wood, you will need to be able to get to the wood to treat with
timber treatment every couple of years so make sure that the
trelliss is removable and whatever you plant will not suffer from
being detatched while on the trellis and placed on the ground

while
you do what you need to do. Depending what sort of thing you

like
to see growing, I have japanese ivy over a pergola. It is very
vigourous indeed, no flowers to speak of but the leaves turn a
glorious red this time of year. Perhaps you could intersperse it
with some kind of clematis?

Good point. I've seen systems where the trellis is hinged low

down
and the top hooks onto the shed. Painting then involves gentle
lowering the trellis and painting or spraying behind it. Done
carefully, you can avoid damaging most plants this way.

You don't even have to drop it to the horizontal, but can prop it

at
an angle, or hang it from the top of the shed wall.

Another point made by many gardening writers is that you don't want
to work so hard at covering up your shed or whatever that you end up
drawing attention to it. A specimen tree near a telegraph pole
distracts a lot better than the most attractive climber in the world
scrambling _up_ it. One beginner's book says if you've got a
beautiful enough garden, nobody will even notice the zillion-gigawatt
nuclear power station next door, and I reckon that's good psychology.

Mike.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Mike Lyle

Brian Watson wrote:
"zippo4" wrote in message
The previous owner erected the mother of all sheds and whilst I

can
admire it as an architectural marvel to rival the new Wembley

stadium
it does look a little 'brutal'. I am keen to soften the edges of

the
shed (which is roughly 12' x 8') and have already put up some

trellis
which I intend to use to train some sort of climbing plant up. And
therein lies my problem. I know next to nothing about plants or
gardening and would therefore really appreciate some advice.
Can anyone suggest a good mixture of climbing plants and or border
shrubs (I think I've got those terms correct??) that will offer

the
following

Paint a picture of an old person living on his/her own on the side.

Chances are that no-one will never see the shed again.

I _so_ wish that was a joke! But I did ring my mother on Sunday, I
swear; and all the kids have rung me in the last four days...

Mike.

Old 07-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Brian Watson

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

Paint a picture of an old person living on his/her own on the side.

Chances are that no-one will never see the shed again.

I _so_ wish that was a joke! But I did ring my mother on Sunday, I
swear; and all the kids have rung me in the last four days...

Sorry. I did wonder if the humour was a little black. Still, if it made one
someone think it served a good purpose.

--
Brian

Old 07-10-2004, 08:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Paul Luton wrote:

Pyracantha planted round the shed can be pruned back against it and will
have flowers in the spring and berries followed by blackbirds in the
winter. Honeysuckle will climb through.

The question is whether you will be able to. Anna Pavord was writing
nonsense in the Independent, and claiming that Pyracantha doesn't
have vicious thorns. Well, I got rid of mine because I wasn't
prepared to put up with the biannual injury - and I don't worry
about minor cuts etc.

Go for clematis, honeysuckle etc. Annuals are good, too.

Before you attach anything I want to warn you. If the shed is wood, you
will need to be able to get to the wood to treat with timber treatment every
couple of years

Our timber shed has been untreated for 15 years apart from refelting the
roof and is still sound.

You are lucky. Mine is much older, but has been well creosoted
once every decade or so.

Pyracantha next to it is likely to make any form of timber treatment
or refelting a foul job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Paul Luton contains these words:

Our timber shed has been untreated for 15 years apart from refelting the
roof and is still sound.

The shed I'm assembling anew (as distinct from re-assembling) has
elements which are six years old, around fifty years old and well over a
hundred years old, and until now, none had been treated in that time.

It's not pretty, it's not even convincing as a shed, but it might
reassure those who have little - er, no wish to tie themselves to a
regular régime of performing the creomite ceremony.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/cobble/cobble.htm

A lot more has been done since I threw the page together, and it will be
updated as soon as the right-shaped tuits can be found. The roof is
covered in felt and the gap above the doors in the gable is filled -
albeit temporarily - with thick black polythene sheet.

I do have the tongue and groove boards to use, but I need to get my
hands on a circular saw to rip some six foot lengths of wood on the
diagonal - I'm blowed if I'm going to do it with a panel saw. (Not
having a ripsaw at present.)

As for hiding it - it's much too picturesque...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-10-2004, 02:04 PM
Registered User

Many thansk to all for their replies. It's been a great help and I am now going to start the shed transformation (shedeffication??)

I may even post soem pics
Old 22-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Registered User

and spell 'some' corectly
Old 22-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Unhappy

duh...and 'correctly'

I give up
Old 22-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
zippo4 writes:

| duh...and 'correctly'
|
| I give up

Please don't. You are making progress. The next step is to
punctuate correctly :-)

Old 22-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
zippo4 writes:

| duh...and 'correctly'
|
| I give up

Please don't. You are making progress. The next step is to
punctuate correctly :-)

{:-))

Franz