Old 09-10-2004, 09:26 AM
Steve Jackson

Default Advice please

Anyone care to conjecture on the earliest date upon which it would be
safe to move shrubs in the Midlands of England?

I'm champing at the bit atm and would like to get on with tidying up the
garden and rearranging the position of some of my shrubs that have
outgrown their space allocation.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of when they might shut down for
winter, though I know really that it should be as late as possible to
ensure survival, so I'm answering my own question really.
--
Steve Jackson
Old 09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
JennyC

"Steve Jackson" wrote in message
Anyone care to conjecture on the earliest date upon which it would be
safe to move shrubs in the Midlands of England?

I'm champing at the bit atm and would like to get on with tidying up the
garden and rearranging the position of some of my shrubs that have
outgrown their space allocation.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of when they might shut down for
winter, though I know really that it should be as late as possible to
ensure survival, so I'm answering my own question really.
--
Steve Jackson

NOW is the best time to transplant shrubs and perennial plants !

The soil is warm and damp and the plants will re-establish before the winter
hits in earnest. Be sure to water them in well and they should be fine.

Jenny

Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Steve Jackson wrote:
Anyone care to conjecture on the earliest date upon which it would be
safe to move shrubs in the Midlands of England?

I'm champing at the bit atm and would like to get on with tidying up the
garden and rearranging the position of some of my shrubs that have
outgrown their space allocation.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions of when they might shut down for
winter, though I know really that it should be as late as possible to
ensure survival, so I'm answering my own question really.

The main reason for waiting is to ensure that they are not stressed
too hard for water, in the hot, dry summer weather that occasionally
occurs. No more than that. As we are well into autumn, most shrubs
will move perfectly well now.

A few are pernickety for other reasons, but are as likely to object
to being moved when dormant or in early spring as to being moved now.
I suggest posting a list of any you are unsure about. Generally,
deciduous ones are easier than evergreen, because they are usually
happier to be cut back at this time of year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Steve Jackson

In message , JennyC
writes
NOW is the best time to transplant shrubs and perennial plants !

The soil is warm and damp and the plants will re-establish before the winter
hits in earnest. Be sure to water them in well and they should be fine.

Thanks to Jenny and Nick for the replies and good advice.
--
Steve
Old 10-10-2004, 11:31 PM
FF

On 9 Oct 2004 10:48:12 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Jackson wrote:
[...]

What about hardy fuchsias? All mine seem to be in the midst of flower
right now and I had to plant them way earlier than this to ensure
hardiness in the first place. Would I be better to move these when they
start to grow again in spring?

Liz

Old 11-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , FF
writes
What about hardy fuchsias? All mine seem to be in the midst of flower
right now and I had to plant them way earlier than this to ensure
hardiness in the first place. Would I be better to move these when they
start to grow again in spring?

Rough rule of thumb for moving stuff:

In autumn before first hard frosts and in early spring after last hard
frosts. So . . . . it tends to depend upon your local micro climate but
adjusting for the particular conditions prevailing in any one
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.