Old 11-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Steve Harris

Default Carrot Root Fly and Enclosed Gardens

My vegetable plot is totally enclosed by walls/fences 6' high. I've just
lifted a trial crop of carrots which are completely clean. No
precautions were taken against Fly. I'm encouraged!

Is this just luck or have the walls/fences done the job of keeping out
the low flying pest?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 12-10-2004, 10:42 AM
bigboard

Steve Harris wrote:

My vegetable plot is totally enclosed by walls/fences 6' high. I've just
lifted a trial crop of carrots which are completely clean. No
precautions were taken against Fly. I'm encouraged!

Is this just luck or have the walls/fences done the job of keeping out
the low flying pest?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I have three foot fences, and I planted onions next to my carrots. No root
fly here either! I can't claim it's scientific, but it's worked for me.

--
If at first you don't succeed, give up, no use being a damn fool.

Old 14-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Broadback

Steve Harris wrote:

My vegetable plot is totally enclosed by walls/fences 6' high. I've just
lifted a trial crop of carrots which are completely clean. No
precautions were taken against Fly. I'm encouraged!

Is this just luck or have the walls/fences done the job of keeping out
the low flying pest?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/

My first crop of carrots were excellent, but the two subsequent years
useless, or almost so. They were very badly damaged by carrot root fly
the second year, so this year I covered them with agricultural fleece.
No root fly but a very poor crop of carrots, so next year? Not sure.
Old 14-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 16:01:29 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Steve Harris wrote:

My vegetable plot is totally enclosed by walls/fences 6' high. I've just
lifted a trial crop of carrots which are completely clean. No
precautions were taken against Fly. I'm encouraged!

Is this just luck or have the walls/fences done the job of keeping out
the low flying pest?

My first crop of carrots were excellent, but the two subsequent years
useless, or almost so. They were very badly damaged by carrot root fly
the second year, so this year I covered them with agricultural fleece.
No root fly but a very poor crop of carrots, so next year? Not sure.

I can't see how the fleece would give a poor crop - I use it all the
time, and have never noticed it affecting the crops negatively.
Mind you, the tops of carrots are rather delicate...so maybe if there
was no support for the fleece it might have restricted development?

For carrot fly, it's not necessary to completely enclose the crop -
just run the fleece round the bed in a 2ft high wall.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Old 22-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Luton UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harris
My vegetable plot is totally enclosed by walls/fences 6' high. I've just
lifted a trial crop of carrots which are completely clean. No
precautions were taken against Fly. I'm encouraged!

Is this just luck or have the walls/fences done the job of keeping out
the low flying pest?

Thanks!

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Yep! Carrot root fly seldom flies more than a few inches above ground.