Old 21-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Chris Rowe

Default Late Chrysanths

Why is it that my chrysanths dont start flowering until the end of October?
By then it's too late to enjoy them because the rain and wind come along and
batter them before the get a chance to bloom properly Any suggestions TIA
Chris

Old 21-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Robert

"Chris Rowe" wrote in message
: Why is it that my chrysanths dont start flowering until the end of
October?
: By then it's too late to enjoy them because the rain and wind come along
and
: batter them before the get a chance to bloom properly Any suggestions TIA
: Chris
:
:
When do you plant them out? I plant mine out in June. Some buds are still
opening but they started in Aug/Sep

Old 21-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Chris Rowe

"Robert" wrote in message

"Chris Rowe" wrote in message
: Why is it that my chrysanths dont start flowering until the end of
October?
:

: :
When do you plant them out? I plant mine out in June. Some buds are still
opening but they started in Aug/Sep

Hi Robert
I leave them in the garden all year,they were just as late last year as well
Chris

Old 21-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Robert

:::::
:: When do you plant them out? I plant mine out in June. Some buds are
:: still opening but they started in Aug/Sep
::
: Hi Robert
: I leave them in the garden all year,they were just as late last year
: as well
:: Chris

What sort are they? If they are 'normal' sprays they are probably getting
set back by late frosts and I don't believe they are as vigorous as new
cuttings but I'm no expert. There are other sorts that stay in but to my
mind they are not as good

Old 22-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Chris Rowe

"Robert" wrote in message
:::::
:: When do you plant them out? I plant mine out in June. Some buds are
:: still opening but they started in Aug/Sep
::
: Hi Robert
: I leave them in the garden all year,they were just as late last year
: as well
:: Chris

What sort are they? If they are 'normal' sprays they are probably getting
set back by late frosts and I don't believe they are as vigorous as new
cuttings but I'm no expert. There are other sorts that stay in but to my
mind they are not as good

I suppose they are normal ones,they were given to me a few years ago as

pot plants which I put in the garden when they had finnished blooming
Chris

Old 22-10-2004, 05:27 PM
David Hill

Chris wrote "...........I suppose they are normal ones,they were
given to me a few years ago as pot plants which I put in the garden when
they had finished blooming......."

That explains a lot Chris
The flowering time of chrysanths is governed by daylight length. Most of the
varieties used for pot production are different varieties of the "Princess
Ann" group, which are naturally November flowering.
Pot Mums are treated with a growth retardant, which keeps them compact, but
once planted out into the garden the roots get into fresh soil and the new
growth of the plant will grow naturally and will mostly get to around 4ft.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 24-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Chris Rowe

"David Hill" wrote in message

Hi Dave
Thanx for your help,I don't suppose there's a way of making them more
compact
TIA Chris

That explains a lot Chris
The flowering time of chrysanths is governed by daylight length. Most of

the
varieties used for pot production are different varieties of the "Princess
Ann" group, which are naturally November flowering.
Pot Mums are treated with a growth retardant, which keeps them compact,

but
once planted out into the garden the roots get into fresh soil and the new
growth of the plant will grow naturally and will mostly get to around 4ft.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

Buying Late Outdoor Spray Chrysanths Robert United Kingdom 2 26-09-2004 09:51 PM
Chrysanths Robert United Kingdom 0 07-12-2003 02:13 PM
Chrysanths. Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 0 08-07-2003 11:21 AM
OT (was Chrysanths) Cavalier United Kingdom 0 23-01-2003 12:36 AM
Chrysanths Cavalier United Kingdom 0 21-01-2003 12:55 AM