Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Alan

Default Planning Planting of Fruit Trees Along Wall

Grateful for any advice.

I'm planning over the next couple of months to plant a reasonable
number of fruit trees along the wall of my garden.

The main wall is about 5-6ft high,almost 100ft long and faces west.

There is a second section - approx same height and around 30ft long
facing north.

Not exactly a Victorian walled garden - if only! - but I think could
work well nonetheless.

I live in central London so extreme low temperatures in winter are
fairly unusual (although clearly nothing is guaranteed).

I would like to grow a good variety of fruit trees - apples, pears,
peaches, apricots, plums, figs, grapes + possibly some soft fruit -
raspberries, blackberries, etc.

Some questions:
* is now-ish a good time to get digging & planting?
* how easy is it to train a fig tree along a wall? I've had a free
standing one before but it was quite in an exposed spot 400ft ASL and
although it survived it didn't really prosper
* what sort of rootstock to go for? Will I be best with the really
dwarfing types & am I also right in thinking that they'll give me a
crop sooner?
* how to choose the right "shape" of tree - fans, espaliers, etc.?
(this is a real mystery to me)
* how will the more delicate trees (peaches, figs, grapes) fare on a
west facing wall in a wet & windy winter??
* I've not grown olives before but I've heard rumours that it can be
done and that with a great deal of TLC & a bit of luck with the weather
they can even be persuaded to crop - is this true or just wishful
thinking?
* what's the best way to support the trees? Hoops & wires along the
wall?
* Will the north facing wall be a dead loss for fruit trees? Or is
there something that will thrive there?
* How close to plant the trees together?

Lots of questions I know...

Alternatively, if I wanted to enlist the help of a professional in
laying the thing out & generally holding my hand, how would I go about
it & what might it cost (design work only - I can do the digging &
planting myself)? Any recommendations (of individuals)? Ironically,
Tommy Walsh only lives a couple of streets away from me, but
unfortunately I don't have room for decking & a pergola!

Thanks v much,

KF