Old 30-10-2004, 12:03 PM
John Carruthers

Default Systemic weedkiller ?

Try again with a subject line :-(

Unfortunately I put a highly invasive bamboo in the wrong place, now
it's going berserk. What would be the best way to deal with it ? I
though thin it out then hit it with some sort of systemic weedkiller,
maybe several times. The problem is, it's next to my pond. Is there a
wildlife safe systemic ?
jc

--
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/jc_atm/

---

Old 30-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Brian Watson

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
Try again with a subject line :-(

Unfortunately I put a highly invasive bamboo in the wrong place, now
it's going berserk. What would be the best way to deal with it ? I
though thin it out then hit it with some sort of systemic weedkiller,
maybe several times. The problem is, it's next to my pond. Is there a
wildlife safe systemic ?

Why not simply dig it out?

--
Brian
Henry Fielding: "All Nature wears one universal grin"

Old 30-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Emrys Davies

Yes, I agree with Brian. Just dig it out. Why resort to a weedkiller
in such circumstances when a spade will do the job more effectively?

Regards,
Emory's Davies.

Old 30-10-2004, 04:31 PM
John Carruthers

Why not simply dig it out?

It's gone beyond that I'm afraid, the neighbours might not like me
tracing the runners through their property :-)
Being disabled means it's my wife who will be doing the digging, not
keen.
jc

Old 30-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Brian Watson

"John Carruthers" wrote in message
Why not simply dig it out?

It's gone beyond that I'm afraid, the neighbours might not like me
tracing the runners through their property :-)
Being disabled means it's my wife who will be doing the digging, not
keen.

In that case, I suggest you cut off the top about six inches to a foot above
ground level, dowse it with stump killer, and enclose the exposed and now
dowsed bit with a plastic bag - held in place with string - to keep the rain
off while the chemical does its work.

Repeat after ten days or so if it shows no signs of the stuff working.

Old 30-10-2004, 06:09 PM
John Carruthers

six inches to a foot above
ground level, dowse it with stump killer,

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
jc

Old 30-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Kay

In article , John Carruthers
writes
six inches to a foot above

ground level, dowse it with stump killer,

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Hmm ... in your original post you said it was near to a pond and you
were worried about the effects on other creatures. I would check first
whether stump killer or glyphosate is least likely to cause problems.
--
Kay

Old 30-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Brian Watson

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , John Carruthers
writes
six inches to a foot above

ground level, dowse it with stump killer,

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Hmm ... in your original post you said it was near to a pond and you
were worried about the effects on other creatures. I would check first
whether stump killer or glyphosate is least likely to cause problems.

A "water on" treatment should minimise any possibility of drift into the
pond.

I had a similar problem with an important plant nearby and I held a sheet of
hardboard in place to act as a screen when actually pouring the stuff on.

--
Brian

Old 30-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , John Carruthers
writes
six inches to a foot above

ground level, dowse it with stump killer,

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Hmm ... in your original post you said it was near to a pond and you
were worried about the effects on other creatures. I would check

first
whether stump killer or glyphosate is least likely to cause

problems.

He should, of course, make up his mind *before* cutting off the
growth, since the glyphosate has to be applied to the green parts of
the plant, when it is in active growth.

Franz

Old 07-11-2004, 05:01 AM
Gary

On 10/30/04 7:31 AM, in article , "John Carruthers"
wrote:

Why not simply dig it out?

It's gone beyond that I'm afraid, the neighbours might not like me
tracing the runners through their property :-)
Being disabled means it's my wife who will be doing the digging, not
keen.
jc

Dig it out...one shovel full at a time...if your neighbours see you doing
this they will either help out or tell you to stop...in either case you can
consider problem solved. Or an alternative idea...find some ice hockey
players-tell them (or better yet, their coach) it will improve their shot to
dig this out for you...and it will! Tell them you will buy them a pint...or
two.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada