Old 31-10-2004, 02:09 PM
David Rance

Default Green manure

My neighbour plants mustard every autumn as a green manure. I've always
thought that it shouldn't be allowed to grow too tall before ploughing
in, but he lets it grow it about waist height and flowering. In fact, I
think he waits for the frost to kill it and then ploughs it in the
following spring. I can see that it would keep down weeds as a mulch,
but is it good to let it grow so big and fibrous?

What is the received wisdom of the members of urg? Should mustard be
allowed to grow this big or is it generally ploughed in much earlier?

Thanks for your thoughts.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 01-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Pam Moore

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:09:46 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

My neighbour plants mustard every autumn as a green manure. I've always
thought that it shouldn't be allowed to grow too tall before ploughing
in, but he lets it grow it about waist height and flowering. In fact, I
think he waits for the frost to kill it and then ploughs it in the
following spring. I can see that it would keep down weeds as a mulch,
but is it good to let it grow so big and fibrous?

What is the received wisdom of the members of urg? Should mustard be
allowed to grow this big or is it generally ploughed in much earlier?

I have used mustard as a late green manure, but covered the whole
patch with black polythene before it flowered and left it for the
winter. The mustard rots down and I was left with weed free, friable
soil to work in Spring.

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-11-2004, 02:28 PM
David Rance

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Alan Gould wrote:

The important thing about mustard or any other green manure is to turn
the herbage in before seeds begin forming, otherwise re-seeding will
occur. For safety, I prefer not to let flower heads progress very far,
but if extra fibre is needed in the soil, your neighbour is doing the
right thing.

Yes, I thought the same thing about the flowering. But thanks for
reassuring me about the fibre.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:29 PM
David Rance

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Pam Moore wrote:

I have used mustard as a late green manure, but covered the whole
patch with black polythene before it flowered and left it for the
winter. The mustard rots down and I was left with weed free, friable
soil to work in Spring.

Now that's a good idea! Thanks for that, Pam

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Spinach as green manure??? Rick Edible Gardening 3 29-05-2004 09:02 PM
bananna skins as green, or yellow, manure Lazarus Cooke United Kingdom 2 20-05-2004 08:08 AM
green manure? PA United Kingdom 3 19-10-2003 10:12 PM
PHACELIA TANACETIFOLIA as a green manure al Gardening 2 25-08-2003 12:22 AM