Old 01-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Registered User

Default Montfield with Honda Engine cuts out

Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul
Old 01-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Bob Hobden

Paul wrote
I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine
and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it
restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be
running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the
mixture on this engine.

That engine has a paper air filter element, how long since you changed it?
Take a look at...
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/welcome.html

which has some information and no doubt an e-mail to them would get you an
answer if it's a known problem like an electrical cut-out fault.
Alternatively they have a good search facility for service facilities.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Rod

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:45:40 +0000, paulem
wrote:

Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine
and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it
restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be
running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the
mixture on this engine.

How long have you had it? Has it been like this since you got it?
If so .............errm.........is the petrol turned on? Don't have a
lot of experience of Honda engines but many of them have a petrol tap
just below the choke lever and it's not always immediately obvious
which way is 'on' especially if there's a bit of dirt around.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:09 PM
Jim

"paulem" wrote in message
news

Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine
and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it
restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be
running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the
mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul

--
paulem

I would start with cleaning the air filter. They often get plugged with dust
and clippings and moisture. When they are plugged up they can cause exactly
what you have described.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:16 PM

In article , Jim
writes

"paulem" wrote in message
news

Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine
and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it
restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be
running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the
mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul

--
paulem

I would start with cleaning the air filter. They often get plugged with dust
and clippings and moisture. When they are plugged up they can cause exactly
what you have described.

I was unable to start my Honda petrol mower after I had tipped it up swideways.
It was later found that the air filter was blocked by oil.

My mistake was to tip up the mower on the 'wrong' side thereby allowing the oil
to escape; if it's necessary to turn over the whole machine be sure to do so on
the side away from the air filter.

This advice can be inferred from the diagrams in the handbook but there is no
written caution.

Incidentally, it was not possible to clean the old filter but after it was
replaced there was no further trouble.

John G. Evans,
Derbyshire.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulem View Post
Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul
Hi Paul

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems with my Mountfield. Did you ever resolve?

Cheers
Rob
Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Registered User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMc View Post
Hi Paul

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems with my Mountfield. Did you ever resolve?

Cheers
Rob
Hi Rob,
Me too, But I have a Honda with the same engine/carb GCV135.
I have stripped down the carb and cleaned up the Main jet + Main nozzle
but to no effect (jet and nozzle were clean anyway)....
Anybody else with same problem?
Mark
Old 20-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulem View Post
Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul
Just (20th April 2008) had the same problem with a Honda engined Mountfield mower that's about 7 years old. £2.99 on a replacement spark plug and I was able to power through wet grass that was, in places, as high as the top of the engine cover. Pulls like a train again. Result!!
Des.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesLavender View Post
Just (20th April 2008) had the same problem with a Honda engined Mountfield mower that's about 7 years old. £2.99 on a replacement spark plug and I was able to power through wet grass that was, in places, as high as the top of the engine cover. Pulls like a train again. Result!!
Des.
Exactly the same problem with my mower - 7 years old too. After trying all the fuel and air things + clean & re gap plug (because that is what it seems the problem must be) it was a new plug that fixed mine too. Many thanks for the tip - I was about to buy a new mower.
Dickiesam
Old 07-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulem View Post
Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul
hi everyone thanks for posting replys on this problem. i took a gamble and bought a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine off flebay. with the same problems ppl had been posting.

i changed the oil, filter and fuel. and its running mint now. i will never go back to an electric hover mower again. once again thanks everyone for there advice.

Old 13-04-2010, 04:46 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulem View Post
Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul
I have just fixed a similar fault on this model.

The plug is sooty so suggests the mixture is too rich however the problem was simply that the plug was failing when it warmed up (15 seconds in my case). Having eliminated most other causes I changed the plug and it now works fine.

Fortunately I did this before stripping dwn the auto decompressor which the symptoms wereheading me towards. Lucky escape!!
Old 22-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulem View Post
Hi All

I have a Mountfield mower with a Honda GCV135 engine which starts fine and seems to run fine but then cuts out after a minute or so, it restarts ok but cuts out again after a minute.

A friend looked at it and checked the plug and said it seems to be running rich does anyone have any suggestions or know how to set the mixture on this engine.

Thanks

Paul
Identical problem with my Lawn-King powered by a Honda GCV160. So many replies said that a plug change would cure it, so I did just that. After weeks of trying to start it (It always started first pull, then died after about 30 seconds) I was suddenly cutting foot high grass with ease. Thanks to everyone who offered this 'too good to be true' tip!