Old 01-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Registered User

Default tree query

I am planning to plant a couple of trees my garden, namely a rowan “sorbus aucuparia” and a hawthorn “crataegus persimilis”. However, I am a bit concerned about root damage to my property. As these are classed as a small trees, I assume their roots are not far-reaching. Is this the case? And is there a recommended minimum distance from the house?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
amyy writes:

| I am planning to plant a couple of trees my garden, namely a rowan
| “sorbus aucuparia” and a hawthorn “crataegus persimilis”. However, I
| am a bit concerned about root damage to my property. As these are
| classed as a small trees, I assume their roots are not far-reaching.
| Is this the case? And is there a recommended minimum distance from the
| house?

Not really, but both of those are "low hassle" trees. There is a
recommended minimum distance, but it is ridiculously large for
many soils. What's your soil, how far away are you planting,
and how old is the house?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:47 PM
Mike Lyle

amyy wrote:
I am planning to plant a couple of trees my garden, namely a rowan
"sorbus aucuparia" and a hawthorn "crataegus persimilis". However,

am a bit concerned about root damage to my property. As these are
classed as a small trees, I assume their roots are not

far-reaching.
Is this the case? And is there a recommended minimum distance from
the house?

For myself I'd go by half the ultimate height as a rule of thumb for
these two; but some would say "height + a bit". Consider also the
distance from any foundations or drains belonging to neighbouring
properties. Playing safe is a good idea, as you may want to sell one
day, and different surveyors may have different attitudes.

(In design terms, it isn't always good to have trees very close to
the house anyhow.)

Here's a website which deals with it from a legal point of view (note
that it mentions both "rules" and gives actual measurements):
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/trees.html

It may also be useful if you want something to quote to a neighbour;
but I can't guarantee its official status, if any.

Mike.

Query about staking a standard tree in container? Contrary Mary United Kingdom 1 16-05-2013 08:36 AM
Tree stumps query Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 01-09-2008 08:24 PM
Rose Tree Replanted Query Jewels United Kingdom 5 10-05-2007 12:35 PM
pecan tree query RB Lawns 4 23-09-2006 02:28 PM
Phytatray query rick Orchids 0 25-01-2003 05:34 PM