Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rose Tree Replanted Query

Hello,

I have had to replant a mature standard rose tree and it isn't looking too
healthy. Is there any tips for helping it settle into it's new
surroundings? I'm a bit of a novice so not sure whether to give it loads of
water [don't want to drown it but all the new buds are all drooping, it
looks quite sad].

TIA

Jx

Old 04-05-2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 4, 1:04 pm, "Jewels" wrote:
Hello,

I have had to replant a mature standard rose tree and it isn't looking too
healthy. Is there any tips for helping it settle into it's new
surroundings? I'm a bit of a novice so not sure whether to give it loads of
water [don't want to drown it but all the new buds are all drooping, it
looks quite sad].

TIA

Jx

When I did two of these I cut one right back and the other I didn't.
After a year or so the former is stronger than it has ever been and
the other is doing ok but nowhere near as good.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 4, 1:04 pm, "Jewels" wrote:
Hello,

I have had to replant a mature standard rose tree and it isn't looking

too
healthy. Is there any tips for helping it settle into it's new
surroundings? I'm a bit of a novice so not sure whether to give it

loads of
water [don't want to drown it but all the new buds are all drooping, it
looks quite sad].

TIA

Jx

When I did two of these I cut one right back and the other I didn't.
After a year or so the former is stronger than it has ever been and
the other is doing ok but nowhere near as good.

So do you reckon I should prune off all the new buds and cut it back the
sooner the better? [just been out this morning and it looks even more sorry
for itself]

Jx

Old 05-05-2007, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/5/07 10:00, in article ,
"Jewels" wrote:

"adder1969" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 4, 1:04 pm, "Jewels" wrote:
Hello,

I have had to replant a mature standard rose tree and it isn't looking

too
healthy. Is there any tips for helping it settle into it's new
surroundings? I'm a bit of a novice so not sure whether to give it

loads of
water [don't want to drown it but all the new buds are all drooping, it
looks quite sad].

TIA

Jx

When I did two of these I cut one right back and the other I didn't.
After a year or so the former is stronger than it has ever been and
the other is doing ok but nowhere near as good.

So do you reckon I should prune off all the new buds and cut it back the
sooner the better? [just been out this morning and it looks even more sorry
for itself]

As you realise, obviously, this is a bad time of year to transplant things
and it's given your plant some stress. In this dry weather - assuming
you're having that, too - it's even more stressed so water it daily but make
sure it's draining freely and isn't in water-logged soil or compost. Don't
be tempted to feed it.
I'm no rose expert but personally, I'd cut it back to a few leaf shoots on
each branch, so that it has as little 'work' to do as possible to sustain
itself. It's very unlikely it will flower this year but if it puts its
energy into producing new root rather than flowers, it might survive the
shock and please you next year.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 May, 13:04, "Jewels" wrote:
Hello,

I have had to replant a mature standard rose tree and it isn't looking too
healthy. Is there any tips for helping it settle into it's new
surroundings? I'm a bit of a novice so not sure whether to give it loads of
water [don't want to drown it but all the new buds are all drooping, it
looks quite sad].

TIA

Jx

Has there been a previous rose in the place you have transplanted it
into? If so you will have to dig out a hole about 2ft wide and 2ft
deep and fill with soil from somewhere else. Also they say that
Mycorrizial fungi, (look for it on the web) is said to promote good
growth. I bought some and am giving it a trial

Old 10-05-2007, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jewels writes
Hello,

I have had to replant a mature standard rose tree and it isn't looking too
healthy. Is there any tips for helping it settle into it's new
surroundings? I'm a bit of a novice so not sure whether to give it loads of
water [don't want to drown it but all the new buds are all drooping, it
looks quite sad].

If you've had lots of dry weather recently, a good watering would be
useful - see the answers in 'more stupid questions - crabapple tree'.

--
Kay

replanted cypress/conifers - are they dead? RMCF Gardening 2 18-06-2010 03:00 PM
Iris replanted Starlord Garden Photos 22 11-02-2007 07:15 PM
rose query tahiri United Kingdom 1 05-08-2005 10:36 PM
Do capsicums seeds need to be replanted? Terry Collins Australia 0 17-02-2005 04:06 AM
can most plants be pruned then replanted? Bob Alston Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:21 AM