Old 05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike
writes

So you ALWAYS stop at a mini roundabout

Yes, well I try to.

and wait for the person on your
right to go?

Yes, if they are there and stopped. If after a wait that they seem to be
dithering about going after a little while I would probably go it it
seemed safe.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 06-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Mike

So you ALWAYS stop at a mini roundabout

Yes, well I try to.

and wait for the person on your
right to go?

Yes, if they are there and stopped. If after a wait that they seem to be
dithering about going after a little while I would probably go it it
seemed safe.
--

and if you want to go straight across and traffic from the opposite
direction is flowing?

Old 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike
writes

So you ALWAYS stop at a mini roundabout

Yes, well I try to.

and wait for the person on your
right to go?

Yes, if they are there and stopped. If after a wait that they seem to be
dithering about going after a little while I would probably go it it
seemed safe.
--

and if you want to go straight across and traffic from the opposite
direction is flowing?

What's the issue here?

Old 06-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Mike

Yes, if they are there and stopped. If after a wait that they seem to

be
dithering about going after a little while I would probably go it it
seemed safe.
--

and if you want to go straight across and traffic from the opposite
direction is flowing?

What's the issue here?

You are one of the ditherers.

Old 06-11-2004, 10:54 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:49:18 +0000 (UTC), "Mike" wrote:

Piggybacking. I'd rather they bring out the food and serve it in the
order in which it comes out of the kitchen. That way everyone has a
chance to have their hot meal.

I find all these "ladies first" things annoying.

When I commented on the business of Ladies being served first, I was
actually talking of the table and those sat at it, be it 2, 4 or 6

people,
i.e. one couple, two couples or three couples. On the assumption that all

of
the food is ready to serve to all people, whether the same food or from

the
menu, then I feel that the Ladies should be served first out of manners,
etiquette or whatever you want to call it.

As a female, I don't understand what is particularly good manners
about serving women first.

Are you one of the younger generation?
I am a middle aged and very independant woman who embraced 'womens's lib'.
However some things like having a door held for me or being served my meal
first, are appreciated. It is simply old fashioned etiquette.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Mike
writes

Yes, if they are there and stopped. If after a wait that they seem to

be
dithering about going after a little while I would probably go it it
seemed safe.
--

and if you want to go straight across and traffic from the opposite
direction is flowing?

What's the issue here?

You are one of the ditherers.

That is not an answer to my question.

Dithering indicates that someone doesn't know what they are doing.

I know exactly what I am doing, I'm following the rules of the road. By
approaching the RB at enough speed to appear that you might not stop you
force others the wait to see what you do - which is probably what you
want anyway.....

I still don't see what the issue is with traffic coming the other way is
- if they are going forward then I can continue forward as well, if they
are turning right then if they are not on the RB then there is probably
enough time for me to continue forward, if they are on the RB and
turning then we would probably have to wait by then.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:22 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message I'm 39. I
don't see it has to do with age. I just don't see why there
should be one set of behaviour rules for men and one for women.
Equality works both ways.

When I was a young woman there was not really equality and men being polite
and making allowances for my femininity was normal. For instance, men woud
not swear in front of women, would open a door, would give up a seat. It had
nothing to do with my equality , it was simply the way men were taught to
behave toward women.
Even nowadays women are not treated as equal to men in the workplace so we
have lost out both ways. Men now think that as we want to be equal, we
should not be treated respectfully simply because of our sex, and in the
workplace we are not equal. I am happy for a man to open a door for me,
offer me his seat and let me go before him through a door etc. I feel secure
in myself that I don't get all prickly and accuse them of condescending
either. Rabid feminism has not done anyone any favours. If a chap holds a
door open for you, smile sweetly as you go through and say thank you. If you
snarl at him that you are perfectly capable of opening a bloody door
yourself, he will be hurt and embarrassed, and might not be so courteous
towards the next woman (me for example) who appreciates his efforts.

Old 07-11-2004, 07:23 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Gwenhyffar Milgi" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:29:38 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Biology? What does biology have to do with it?

One man can impregnate one million women. Given a KitKat and a cup of

Bovril
from time to time.
One woman cannot impregnate another woman. No man can impregnate another
man. However, as I think you know all this and are just being 'funny'

for
the sake of it, I'll leave you to work the rest out for yourself.

There's plenty of women in the world. This would have been something
logical in small societies when we were still hunter-gatherers. With 6
billion people in the world, we're hardly going to run out of women
who want to be impregnated.

Seeing as the human race is no longer bothered about biology when it
comes to reproduction (cf the contraceptive pill and infertility
treatments) it seems silly to me to continue the other leftovers from
a time when we were all rubbing sticks together.

Do you have a crewcut, tattoos , piercings and wear dungarees? curious

Old 07-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Mike Lyle

ex WGS Hamm wrote:
[...]
Do you have a crewcut, tattoos , piercings and wear dungarees?
curious

A bit out of touch there, ex? (I assume we can't call you WGS any
more.)

I welcome the opportunity to offer and accept courtesy on absolutely
equal terms. Sure, I'll do things like treating an obviously pregnant
woman, for example, with extra consideration, as I often would a man
laden with parcels; but I think it's best to tailor behaviour to
circumstances. Courtesy is knowing what's right at a particular time
and place, not a mechanical thing.

Mike.

Manners 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 6 24-08-2011 04:05 PM
Manners 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 16 07-05-2009 06:05 PM
[IBC] ADMIN: LIST MANNERS (was: [IBC] Big Bucks) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 04:45 AM