Old 22-10-2002, 06:56 PM
William Tasso

Default Christmas

Hello one 'n' all

Although I have donned my heat-proof suit for mentioning Christmas in
October, you can all put away your flame throwers because this one is very
definitely on-topic ;o)

Was in the garden centre today and remembered that the kids had asked for a
Christmas tree for the garden. saw many that looked close but none that
convinced me they were the 'right' one. staff not much help either on this
occasion. it is difficult to relate a real live growing plant to the poor
dried out specimens that are available on the high street at christmas time.

The one I mean is the traditional green chappie not the later (more
fashionable ?) blue things. Anyone know its name? I expect common or latin
would do.

Thanks

--
William Tasso - http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 23-10-2002, 12:20 PM
CK

For many years now we have used a Bay tree in a tub as a Christmas tree.
It has the advantage of not dropping needles and also smelling very nice!.
For the rest of the year it lives on the patio and provides us with bay leaves for
our cooking surprisingly enough!
Chris King ~ Somerset

Old 23-10-2002, 12:49 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , CK
writes
For many years now we have used a Bay tree in a tub as a Christmas
tree. It has the advantage of not dropping needles and also smelling
very nice!. For the rest of the year it lives on the patio and provides
us with bay leaves for
our cooking surprisingly enough!

Do you keep it cool indoors? or does it survive a warm room?

--
dave @ stejonda

calculate your ecological footprint http://www.lead.org/leadnet/footprint/
Old 23-10-2002, 06:21 PM
Mary Fisher

"CK" wrote in message
For many years now we have used a Bay tree in a tub as a Christmas tree.
It has the advantage of not dropping needles and also smelling very nice!.
For the rest of the year it lives on the patio and provides us with bay

leaves for
our cooking surprisingly enough!
Chris King ~ Somerset

That sounds delightful!

Mary

Old 23-10-2002, 07:38 PM
CK

We have it in our hall for 2-3 weeks over the Christmas period.
It is pretty warm there, not really hot, but I don't think it would mind being hot
provided you give it a bit of water, after all it gets pretty hot on the patio in the
summer.
The only thing we do, is to take care not to put it back out if it is very cold
weather without acclimatising it a bit first!

Old 23-10-2002, 08:55 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , CK
writes
We have it in our hall for 2-3 weeks over the Christmas period. It is
pretty warm there, not really hot, but I don't think it would mind
being hot provided you give it a bit of water, after all it gets pretty
hot on the patio in the summer. The only thing we do, is to take care
not to put it back out if it is very cold weather without acclimatising
it a bit first!

thanks for that

Old 24-10-2002, 06:12 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

"CK" wrote in message
For many years now we have used a Bay tree in a tub as a Christmas tree.
It has the advantage of not dropping needles and also smelling very nice!.
For the rest of the year it lives on the patio and provides us with bay

leaves for
our cooking surprisingly enough!
Chris King ~ Somerset

That sounds delightful!

When we lived in Cornwall, we had masses of holly growing naturally
about the place. We used to select a bush full and glowing with bright
berries for our annual Xmas tree and it always attracted a lot of
favourable comment. We don't have that abundance of holly now, but we do
have a lovely tree of it not far from our front door which we decorate
with Xmas lights for the festive season. It is a delight to see the
village carol singers gathering round it when they call each year and it
gives an appropriate welcome to visitors calling on us at Yuletide. Up
to now the tree is full of berries, but they are often taken by birds
during winter - a Xmas gift to our feathered friends!
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.
Old 24-10-2002, 09:44 AM
Victoria Clare

Pam Moore wrote in
:

The one I mean is the traditional green chappie not the later (more
fashionable ?) blue things. Anyone know its name? I expect common or
latin would do.

It is picea abies or Norway Spruce.

....but I would think twice about planting one if I were you. They grow
pretty fast, and are not at all attractive once they have got past the
'christmas tree' size. My mother has one planted perhaps 20 years ago:
it's all lanky bare trunk and bubbles of sap.

Pick something slower-growing, or be prepared to give it the chop a few
years hence.

Victoria

Christmas tips Cliff United Kingdom 9 30-11-2003 11:43 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Allegra Roses 0 23-01-2003 08:22 AM
Fabulous orchid pics. for your Christmas Dante Australia 1 17-12-2002 10:22 PM
Will Tylan (an antibiotic) kill my christmas tree? Dick N. Bush Lawns 0 06-12-2002 07:47 AM
Christmas tree harvest on Daniel B. Wheeler alt.forestry 0 14-11-2002 04:16 PM