Old 14-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Double Digger

Default Rosa rugosas

Hi,

Does Rosa rugosa need full sunshine, or would four plants grow just as well
in a north facing front garden that gets partial sun? The soil is on the
poor side, top soil mixed with a lot of sandy hardcore, having previously
been used for an extra car parking area. The varieties I have in mind are R.
r. 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup', salmon/pink flowers and large, red hips, and the
white flowered R. r. 'Alba'. I understand that R.rugosas grow naturally in
sandy shoreline areas of China, so they should do well on my poor soil, if
that is, they would accept the partial shade.

Thanks. in advance.
D.D.

Old 14-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Morgan Sarum

"Double Digger"wrote
Does Rosa rugosa need full sunshine, or would four plants grow just as

well
in a north facing front garden that gets partial sun? The soil is on the
poor side, top soil mixed with a lot of sandy hardcore, having previously
been used for an extra car parking area.

in my experience, they grow well nearly anywhere...
full sun or shady, they seem to do ok..

Morgan
(newbie here)

Old 14-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Kate Morgan

Does Rosa rugosa need full sunshine, or would four plants grow just
as
well
in a north facing front garden that gets partial sun? The soil is on the
poor side, top soil mixed with a lot of sandy hardcore, having previously
been used for an extra car parking area.

in my experience, they grow well nearly anywhere...
full sun or shady, they seem to do ok..

Morgan
(newbie here)

I have one in a south facing bed in good soil and another in the shade
with poor soil, they both do well :-)
kate
Old 15-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Philip

"Double Digger" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Does Rosa rugosa need full sunshine, or would four plants grow just as well
in a north facing front garden that gets partial sun? The soil is on the
poor side, top soil mixed with a lot of sandy hardcore, having previously
been used for an extra car parking area. The varieties I have in mind are R.
r. 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup', salmon/pink flowers and large, red hips, and the
white flowered R. r. 'Alba'. I understand that R.rugosas grow naturally in
sandy shoreline areas of China, so they should do well on my poor soil, if
that is, they would accept the partial shade.

Thanks. in advance.
D.D.

Roses are hungry fellows and like their roots in heavy soils. If you
have some spare clay it would be worth incorporating that in the area
where you are planting your roses. Failing clay then provide some
good food, Bonemeal or suchlike. Slow release, organic fertiliser is
what you want to provide.