Old 18-11-2004, 10:50 PM
Michael Savage

Default Interplanting with courgettes

Hi all

Know this is thinking a bit far ahead but it's nice to think green when it's
so wintery...I tried growing a couple of courgettes among my little
first-time plot of sweetcorn this year (think I saw Monty or someone suggest
it). Well. sweetcorn did nothing (just sort of rotted away before ripening)
but the courgettes were great, SO....

Any ideas what to grow the courgettes among next year? This would only be a
1.2m square or so. Having picked up and enjoyed a spike of sprouts from our
local farmers' market the other day I was wondering about them...but would
they fit in time-wise?

Michael S (not at all experienced with veg...)

Old 19-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Stephen Howard

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:50:46 -0000, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

Hi all

Know this is thinking a bit far ahead but it's nice to think green when it's
so wintery...I tried growing a couple of courgettes among my little
first-time plot of sweetcorn this year (think I saw Monty or someone suggest
it). Well. sweetcorn did nothing (just sort of rotted away before ripening)
but the courgettes were great, SO....

Any ideas what to grow the courgettes among next year? This would only be a
1.2m square or so. Having picked up and enjoyed a spike of sprouts from our
local farmers' market the other day I was wondering about them...but would
they fit in time-wise?

Michael S (not at all experienced with veg...)

Don't know as if you'll have much luck interplanting with courgettes -
they tend to take up as much room as you can give them, and they're
pretty heavy feeders.
Sweetcorn is a possibility - I think the main requirement would be
that the crop needs to be one that will grow above the canopy provided
by the courgettes...and the soil requirements are similar.
I tried a few tomato plants this year - the results weren't great, but
it wasn't a complete failure.

I wouldn't have thought sprouts would be much good - they need quite a
firm soil...courgettes like a loose, well-manured soil.

Outdoor cucumbers might be an idea, if you trailed them upwards.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 19-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Pam Moore

wrote:

Know this is thinking a bit far ahead but it's nice to think green when it's
so wintery...I tried growing a couple of courgettes among my little
first-time plot of sweetcorn this year (think I saw Monty or someone suggest
it). Well. sweetcorn did nothing (just sort of rotted away before ripening)
but the courgettes were great, SO....

Tonight in a veg plot review Monty showed it again; sweetcorn and
courgettes.
Bob Flowerdew has gone one further, and suggested planting runner
beans to grow up the sweetcorn. I think it is referred to as the
"Three sisters" method.
Timing is important. Obvioulsly you need to get the corn taller than
the beans!

Pam in Bristol