Old 31-07-2012, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hawthorn hedge - interplanting for better winter screening?

Hi,

I have a long length of hawthorn, which was 12' tall until a neighbour
helped me take it back to around 4' last year - it is doing well now.

It also contains several self planted holly bushes which I am nuturing and
one or two other random things - a real hybrid.

The only problem is the lack of screening in the winter months (we live in a
bungalow and the bedrooms are on the ground floor). Plus there are a couple
of places where entire hawthorns must have died years ago as there are big
(3-4') gaps. Rest of the hawthorns are around 18-24" spacing between trunks.

I'd like to add something else this autumn, at least into the gaps and if it
is tolerant enough, perhaps in between hawthorns in a few other points where
I'd like the hedge to be more consistently opaque/solid.

The possibility to cut out a few more hawthorn trunks either now or later
when the other plants take, is possible.

What would the panel :- recommend as a possible plant that would live in a
hybrid hawthorn hedge but assist with the visible screening? Could be an
evergreen, or whatever else keeps its leaves alive or dead over winter.

Another possibility might be some sort of climber that would mix in with the
hawthorn. Ideally I'd like to achieve screening improvements in 12-24 months
after planting.

I could just chop it down and shove a well managed leylandii kept to 4-5'
in, but it would be a shame to lose the old hybrid - it suits the character
of the village and the wildlife seems to like it.

Cheers for any ideas

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Old 31-07-2012, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
[...]

Escallonia

Been there. Done that. Got it in our Hawthorn/Holly Hedge (Want a photo?)

Keeps its leaves. Flowers prettily throughout the Summer. The Bees love it.

Easy to trim

:-))

Mike

Old 31-07-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

10 Years ago I would have agreed with Mike, Escallonia but in some parts of
the country there is a dread disease that takes the leaves off them and the
eventually die.

What about allowing some plant of Lonicera japonica to infest the existing
hedge? there is on like it in the village and it smells wonderful, gets
clipped just like the rest of the hedge.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 31-07-2012, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/07/2012 17:35, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I've inter planted with Lonicera nitida, if you can get a load of
cuttings 12 to 18 inches long in the Autumn and just stick them in; 6
inches or so deep; amongst the hawthorn they should root over the
winter, and there you are, in a couple of years they will have blended
in to give you a good winter screen, and also a good nesting site for
some of the Tits.
Old 31-07-2012, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:

What would the panel :- recommend as a possible plant that would live in a
hybrid hawthorn hedge but assist with the visible screening? Could be an
evergreen, or whatever else keeps its leaves alive or dead over winter.

Where are you? In most of the country (by area!), the only reliable
evergreen, non-coniferous hedging plant is holly. There is also
yew, which seems to be a conifer this week, but that is even slower.
Both will mix quite happily with hawthorn. In warmer areas, there
are a lot more - I suggest trying bay (yes, Laurus nobilis).

Another possibility might be some sort of climber that would mix in with the
hawthorn. Ideally I'd like to achieve screening improvements in 12-24 months
after planting.

There are no reliably evergreen climbers except for ivy, and it
won't help. In most of the country (by population!), you can
grow quite a few like Clematis armandii or some of the Lonicera,
or Holboellia/Stauntonia, but all will look tatty in the winter,
probably not flower and the C. armandii and Holboellia/Stauntonia
might be a problem for the hawthorn. Some of the Lonicera might
be, too. Clematis cirrhosa might be worth trying, but don't
expect flowers. You could try Passiflora caerulea, but it would
probably either die or be a problem for the hawthorn.

If you had more evergreens, you MIGHT be able to get Passiflora
incarnata to grow, but it needs its roots dry in winter. And
you would probably have to grow it from seed :-) And it's only
herbaceous, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 31-07-2012, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie :-( That's what we have got in another section of hedge
....................... and it's dying :-(

Escallonia fine :-))

Mike

Old 31-07-2012, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

Escallonia

Been there. Done that. Got it in our Hawthorn/Holly Hedge (Want a photo?)

Keeps its leaves. Flowers prettily throughout the Summer. The Bees love
it.

Hi Mike - sounds like a goer. Does it matter which sub type?

eg this one looks nice:

http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/acatal...a-hedging.html

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Old 31-07-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

10 Years ago I would have agreed with Mike, Escallonia but in some parts
of the country there is a dread disease that takes the leaves off them
and the eventually die.

What about allowing some plant of Lonicera japonica to infest the
existing hedge? there is on like it in the village and it smells
wonderful, gets clipped just like the rest of the hedge.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Charlie :-( That's what we have got in another section of hedge
...................... and it's dying :-(

Escallonia fine :-))

Mike

Maybe I should put both in ;-

Yes - I am serious! It's already a blend...
--
Tim Watts
Old 31-07-2012, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks to everyone so far - some promising ideas. And I have never heard of
any of the suggestions, so I'd never have worked this out wiothout all your
help

Cheers!

Tim
--
Tim Watts
Old 31-07-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

Escallonia

Been there. Done that. Got it in our Hawthorn/Holly Hedge (Want a photo?)

Keeps its leaves. Flowers prettily throughout the Summer. The Bees love
it.

Hi Mike - sounds like a goer. Does it matter which sub type?

eg this one looks nice:

http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/acatal...a-hedging.html

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts

If you want try Escallonia then Red Hedger or C F Ball are good choices

Old 31-07-2012, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:

Escallonia

Been there. Done that. Got it in our Hawthorn/Holly Hedge (Want a
photo?)

Keeps its leaves. Flowers prettily throughout the Summer. The Bees love
it.

Hi Mike - sounds like a goer. Does it matter which sub type?

eg this one looks nice:

http://www.best4hedging.co.uk/acatal...a-hedging.html

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts

If you want try Escallonia then Red Hedger or C F Ball are good choices

Cool - that you kindly sir.

I'll seek out suppliers locally.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts
Old 31-07-2012, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-31 19:01:22 +0100, Tim Watts said:

Thanks to everyone so far - some promising ideas. And I have never
heard of
any of the suggestions, so I'd never have worked this out wiothout all
your
help

Cheers!

Tim

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with those suggesting Escallonia. While
it does, indeed, make an extremely handsome hedge, imo it looks
absolutely dreadful as 'dot' planting and achieves a kind of scruffiness
that is very undesirable! If you decide to grub the whole hedge out
and replace it, then I'd certainly say look at Escallonia. But as a few
plants interspersed with established holly and hawthorn, it will look
like a ballet dancer in a coalmine, imo.

It will also be much slower to fill in than Lonicera Natidia
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-31 17:35:36 +0100, Tim Watts said:

Hi,

[...]

snip

How about looking at hornbeam and beech planted as bare root hedging in
autumn? Or how about just planting some more holly, making sure you
have male and female plants to get the berries?

I'd add Lonicera nitida (sp?) which is ever green and available in green
and paler yellow cultivars (slightly less vigorous). My hedge also
includes honeysuckle, cotoneaster and wild rose but they lose their
leaves in winter and so don't meet your requirements. Pyracantha
provided you don't mind the vicious spines and yew provided you don't
mind the dangerous toxicity.

I would probably avoid anything else in the rosaceae family in case the
gaps in the hedge are caused by disease - the soil will also be depleted
in the nutrients that family require.

Please don't plant C.
leylandii because, while you may look after it, if you sell your house,
those who come after you may not be so conscientious. It really isn't a
'neighbourly' tree. And it is a tree, not a hedging shrub!

Even some of the things we have suggested will run away if you do not
keep on top of them - but not to the same extent as Leylandii.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-31 19:01:22 +0100, Tim Watts said:

Thanks to everyone so far - some promising ideas. And I have never
heard of
any of the suggestions, so I'd never have worked this out wiothout all
your
help

Cheers!

Tim

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with those suggesting Escallonia. While
it does, indeed, make an extremely handsome hedge, imo it looks
absolutely dreadful as 'dot' planting and achieves a kind of scruffiness
that is very undesirable! If you decide to grub the whole hedge out
and replace it, then I'd certainly say look at Escallonia. But as a few
plants interspersed with established holly and hawthorn, it will look
like a ballet dancer in a coalmine, imo.

:-) Love that expression!

Going back to the original question, I have a similar problem but the
holly sections are beginning to work their magic. It's a slow process,
though, but I think the best answer. We also have a 'chunk' of yew in
the mix which is excellent, the best bit of hedging I've ever seen. It
is spreading slowly - and very surely - but certainly not a quick fix!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-31 19:01:22 +0100, Tim Watts said:

Thanks to everyone so far - some promising ideas. And I have never
heard of
any of the suggestions, so I'd never have worked this out wiothout all
your
help

Cheers!

Tim

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with those suggesting Escallonia. While
it does, indeed, make an extremely handsome hedge, imo it looks
absolutely dreadful as 'dot' planting and achieves a kind of scruffiness
that is very undesirable! If you decide to grub the whole hedge out
and replace it, then I'd certainly say look at Escallonia. But as a few
plants interspersed with established holly and hawthorn, it will look
like a ballet dancer in a coalmine, imo.

It will also be much slower to fill in than Lonicera Natidia

Hmm - all interesting stuff

I wonder then if a touch of red Escallonia in the big gaps (which happen to
be near each other) and Lonicera Natidia to fill in the rest?

The escallonia will give a bright splash to one end of the run which might
be visually interestoing.

SWMBO just asked if escallonia is good to grow over an arch former over a
pathway (narrow) gate? That's in the middle of the bits with 3' gaps in the
hawthorn. I could even justify removing the hawthorn completely ther (only
about 3-4 trunks worth) and just having a solid patch of escallonia.

Would photos of the hedge help?

Cheers,

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Hawthorn Hedge squirreluk Gardening 3 30-11-2009 11:44 AM
Bare Hawthorn Hedge squirreluk Gardening 5 15-02-2009 11:18 PM
Interplanting with courgettes Michael Savage United Kingdom 2 19-11-2004 10:51 PM
Holly hedge - how do you get the hawthorn trees out? Peter Boulton United Kingdom 4 15-09-2004 08:27 AM
hawthorn hedge Bob United Kingdom 4 01-05-2004 09:02 AM